Forum home Problem solving

BIODIVERSITY IN A SMALL GARDEN

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/3JDZ7G6

Hi everyone. I am an A Level Product Design student and I'm looking for some help to find methods of encouraging nature/biodiversity in to small outdoor spaces. I'm trying to get and idea of what methods are already out there, what the average space is to work with and what the audience for a product/solution is likely to be. The link above is to a survey (anonymous) that includes these questions. 

If you have any questions or more ideas please comment. Any help would be appreciated!

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,912
    done.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 4,882
    edited 19 November
    Done :)
    I probably wouldn't spend anything on a product specifically to encourage biodiversity but that wasn't an option. The bees, bugs and creepy-crawlies seem happy with my flowers, shrubs, trees and compost corner without any specially-designed things. A few years ago I had a swarm of bees in my hedge for a few days, so presumably they thought my garden was a good place to rest until they found a good hollow tree or similar.
  • WillowBarkWillowBark Posts: 196
    Done :)
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 73,755

Done  :)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• B3B3 Posts: 19,409
    edited 19 November
    Done
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 6,743
    edited 19 November
    Done. If it helps at all I think that there's a good future in rainwater management in gardens especially if it can be easily integrated into wildlife habitat enhancement. A modular, wall mounted system with planters, mini ponds, bird baths and even water tables for kids to play with would be great.
    A great library has something in it to offend everybody.
  • tui34tui34 Béziers, Herault, FrancePosts: 1,442
    Done.
    Have I got an overgrown part of my garden?  Hmmm.   o:)
    A good hoeing is worth two waterings.

• Bee witchedBee witched Scottish BordersPosts: 763
    Done.

Bee x
    Bees must gather nectar from two million flowers to make one pound of honey   
  • Thanks everyone for the responses! It's been really helpful  :)
  • Done. If it helps at all I think that there's a good future in rainwater management in gardens especially if it can be easily integrated into wildlife habitat enhancement. A modular, wall mounted system with planters, mini ponds, bird baths and even water tables for kids to play with would be great.
    That's such a cool idea! I've never seen anything like that. I'll definitely look into it more, as I'd considered vertical planters but I hadn't even considered vertical ponds. In my research I found that ponds are the single best way to introduce more biodiversity but I was worried it would be quite space dependent. Thanks for the help!