Forum home Problem solving

WIRE WORM IN POTATOES

I have a problem with wire Worm at my allotment. 
I've lost about 20% of my maincrop potatoes in the last 2 years. Other gardeners at the allotment are having the same problem.
Would liming the soil (ackdic) have an effect.?

• barry islandbarry island Posts: 1,354
    Have you considered nematodes a lot less drastic and more effective if done right I would think.
  • Thank you, 
    Any idea what type of nematode treatment? 
  • UffUff SW Scotland but born in DerbyshirePosts: 145
    Out of curiosity wouldn't it necessitate all the allotment holders to use nematodes at the same time for the treatment to be successful? 
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,197
    edited 18 November
    Is it definitely wireworm (Click beetle grubs) and not something else like small slugs?  The RHS have some images and advice on wireworm, here:
    If it is wireworm, there's more advice here:
    Good luck, it won't be easy.  Keeled slugs are the problem here and are endemic in my clay-based soil, but I eventually found a couple of slug-resistant and reliable croppers.  That doesn't seem to be an option for wireworm, as there are no resistant varieties as far as I know.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.

•  I'm almost positive it is wire worm. I think nematode treatment is the way forward.
    Many thanks
  • barry islandbarry island Posts: 1,354
    Well you'll be rotating your potato beds so treating one per year shouldn't be too bad it's just a case of applying the treatment at the correct time, I don't know how effective the treatment is as I haven't had to use it but nematodes certainly work against vine weevil. Strange isn't it that wire worm are so destructive but the adult click beetle kills other pests and is the gardeners friend.
  • I will rotate the treatment as you say.
    I'm in the middle of turning my plot over at the moment - difficult between rain showers.
    Grateful for the advice. 👍