Forum home The potting shed

What does WASH BEFORE USE mean to you?

12346»

• dappledshadedappledshade Top of the Hill, North London Posts: 982
    Hostafan1 said:
    B3 said:
    @Hostafan1.  I've seen instructions on duvet covers and the like  - wash before use. Who does that? Who apart from me reads instructions about what to do with a duvet cover.😐
    perhaps some part of the process may leave some residue to which some folk are allergic?
    Very true.
    I never used to bother washing new socks or tights for my then young daughter, until one day she was caught in a downpour whilst on a school trip, aged 7, wearing new tights. She complained to the teacher that her legs were burning and when I got her home and peeled the wet tights off, her legs looked like they’d been burnt - bright, uniformly red exactly where the tights has been wetted.
    Turns out many manufacturers (these were bog standard M&S) use chemicals during the manufacturing process, that can leach out if not washed out before use.

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,134
    I wouldn’t wash jeans or jumpers but I do wash knickers before wear. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 7,649
    The last new sheet I bought was packaged plastic-free (good!), just folded around a piece of corrugated cardboard with a printed thin cardboard band around it, so the sheet itself could have been touched who-knows-how-many times before I bought it. It went in the wash with whatever else was in the basket, dried on the line, nice and fresh before being used.
  • ManderMander GatesheadPosts: 334
    To me it's more about the starch and other things they put on clothes and sheets etc to make them look nice and crisp in the shop. Usually feels a bit unpleasant on the skin so I wash them first.

I always rinse off things that won't be peeled, but I'm mostly thinking about dust that might be on the surface. If I were truly worried about surface germs I'd use a special food cleaning spray. Sometimes if an apple feels particularly waxy I will actually wash it with soap but that's rare.
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 7,649
    I have occasionally washed citrus fruit with soap, hot water and a nailbrush when I wanted the zest and couldn't get any unwaxed ones. The wax is probably harmless but I didn't fancy eating it.
  • ManderMander GatesheadPosts: 334
    JennyJ said:
    The wax is probably harmless but I didn't fancy eating it.
    Yeah it's only because it has an unpleasant texture. I don't think it's actually harmful at all.