Forum home The potting shed

What does WASH BEFORE USE mean to you?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,086
    .... Soft fruit I rarely buy it, so it's normally straight off the plant, occasionally picking off the wildlife as I go....
    Some of us can't see the wildlife on the fruit without the aid of reading glasses ... sometimes not even with ... if they will lurk on blackberries they deserve to get eaten. 

I never never never wash raspberries ... ruins them.  
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,134
    Since my OH told me about someone he knew who grew lettuces commercially,  10 weeks to grow and sprayed as many times,  I do wash salads and fruit.
    not raspberries, but then I don’t ever buy them from the shop.

Since changing from plastic type bedding to pure cotton, I do wash sheets and duvet covers, it has a smell to it especially Indian or Egyptian cottons.  Never washed the old poly/cotton types though. 
    Didn't wash the cotton duvet itself. 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,261
    ALERT for the sensitive. 
    My dear late Mother rarely washed her frying pans. The lard was allowed to harden and the pans went back onto the shelf in the pantry. She said it added to the flavour.
    She lives to 72
    Devon.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,907
    I only wash fruit or veg that won't be peeled. Like @Dovefromabove, I don't wash raspberries, and blackberries get eaten when picked. They never really make it back to the house though. A lot of my tomatoes don't either. 
    I don't buy pre packed lettuce very often, but those bags with the ready prepped stuff are hideous. I once asked a friend why she didn't just grow a couple of pots of lettuce for her sandwiches, and she turned up her nose and mentioned 'all those bugs and beasties'. She'd happily buy the bags of prepped salad leaves though  :D
    I don't think people realise that organic fruit and veg can have chemicals on them too. 

I'm not too OCD about washing clothing/bedclothes, but my daughter does. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,850
    Hostafan1 said:
    ALERT for the sensitive. 
    My dear late Mother rarely washed her frying pans. The lard was allowed to harden and the pans went back onto the shelf in the pantry. She said it added to the flavour.
    She lives to 72
    Throughout my childhood and until I left home my Mum did exactly the same.
    The fry pan for bacon and eggs was never washed and the rendered fat just built-up until there was enough to pour off into the jar in the larder that the dripping was kept in for roast potatoes and to be spread on toast, one of Mum's favourites :)
    Mum lived to 89

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,261
    Pete.8 said:
    Hostafan1 said:
    ALERT for the sensitive. 
    She lives to 72
    Throughout my childhood and until I left home my Mum did exactly the same.
    The fry pan for bacon and eggs was never washed and the rendered fat just built-up until there was enough to pour off into the jar in the larder that the dripping was kept in for roast potatoes and to be spread on toast, one of Mum's favourites :)
    Mum lived to 89

Whew
    Devon.
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 7,649
    Hostafan1 said:
    ALERT for the sensitive. 
    She lives to 72

Actually I don't think I'd have a problem with that (as long as it hadn't had fish cooked in it and picked up the smell). The lard would get hot enough to kill pretty much anything that might be harmful.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 10,482
    We've eaten bagged salad leaves for years and have never come to harm, even after the use by date as long it still looks okay. If it gets soggy, it gets ditched. I do try to grow our own during the summer in a large pot outside the back door but there's never enough to keep us going. We eat it every day.
  • When we were courting my OH wouldn't even come in the house if my mum had fried chips (in lard).
    Southampton 
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,134
    I don’t think the old cast iron frying pans should ever be washed,  I wipe mine out with kitchen roll.
    I only wash new bedding if it smells,  I’ve had sheets smelling of curry and sometimes a petrol type of smell. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.