Forum home The potting shed

What does WASH BEFORE USE mean to you?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,143
    If it’s fruit or veg purchased from a supermarket you can be pretty sure there won’t be any fertilizer or pesticide actually in it. The contracts with the supermarkets that the farmers have to commit to (and are checked and tested on) will forbid any applications within a certain period before harvest. 

Whether they’ve absorbed something that you might not want to eat is something else … again what they’re treated with is controlled by the supermarkets’ agronomists.  I’m pretty sure that you can find out a lot about what they permit if you examine their websites forensically. 

I usually put most fruit and veg in a colander and rinse under the cold tap before eating, but I’m not obsessive about it. OH is more thorough than I am. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• CrazybeeladyCrazybeelady WarwickshirePosts: 611
    Hostafan1 said:
    I must either be a filthy slut, or have a cast iron constitution. I wash virtually nothing before eating
    Same!! I don't care about use by dates either. 
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,294
    Hostafan1 said:
    I must either be a filthy slut, or have a cast iron constitution. I wash virtually nothing before eating
    Same!! I don't care about use by dates either. 
    My kinda gal  ;)
    Devon.
  • B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,029
    edited November 2021
    You lucky people!
    So rinsing under the tap is enough for the delicate of digestion?
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • ErgatesErgates Devon, east of ExeterPosts: 2,035
    I always wash towels, bed linens etc before use. Don’t wash new clothing, but usually check it looks and smells clean. 
    I wash fruit and vegetables apart from things I’m going to peel, like potatoes and carrots. Salad stuff all gets rinsed. 
    I do remember helping a friend prepare lunch, and being accused of being ‘posh’ because I washed the tomatoes before slicing them!
    I suppose my main concerns are ‘germs’ and insecticides.
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 7,670
    I don't take much notice of use-by and best-before dates. If it looks or smells off/mouldy/slimy/musty etc of course I don't eat it (or I cut off the bad bits) but that's nowt to do with the date on it. Fresh fruit and veg often last beyond the use-by date, unopened dry goods don't go off overnight because the best-before date has passed, and unopened tins and jars keep pretty much indefinitely as far as I can see (currently using some homemade marmalade labelled Jan2018 that I'd stashed away and forgotten about, and it's fine).
  • pr1mr0sepr1mr0se Posts: 1,173
    I wash fruit veg and salad stuff under running cold water.  It's not so much to do with pesticides etc but more about those who have handled stuff before I have.  The loose fruit etc will have been picked over by other potential buyers, and who knows what they carry on their hands?  And packers of fruit and veg don't necessarily wash their hands before handling stuff, either.  (I read an article some time ago about handlers' hands, and it made me realise how unsanitary some people can be!)
  • B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,029
    A bit like peanuts in the pub on  a Sunday😜
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 7,670
    Pub peanuts, yuk! My OH says he frequently sees men leaving the gents without bothering to wash their hands (and this is in his office building, where you'd think people would be reasonably smart and not under the influence of booze). They might then go in the shops and touch things :s. I'd hoped COVID would have at least made good hand hygiene the norm but it seems not.
  • LoxleyLoxley NottinghamPosts: 4,970
    "Wash before use" means the supermarket aren't liable if you get a stomach bug from bacteria on the surface of fruit and veg, seems to happen fairly regularly with cucumbers. Although it's still quite rare. And I rarely bother complying to be honest.