Forum home The potting shed

What does WASH BEFORE USE mean to you?

• HeliosHelios Posts: 197
    edited November 2021
    @B3 I do! Just so I have an ideal opportunity to have a whinge if they shrink even though I’ve followed instructions.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,261
    I must either be a filthy slut, or have a cast iron constitution. I wash virtually nothing before eating
    Devon.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,176
    Grapes and tomatoes and things that are to be eaten raw. Buy organic. Then wash in running cold water and drain on a tea towel until dry.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,176
    Duvet covers, clothes, ugh yes, I wash them all. I’ve worked in a clothes factory and can say if you’d worked there you’d wash everything too. Not to mention other people trying things on in shops before you do...😖
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,006
    Organic is not always available and organic is not always what I wish to ingest. I don't really want to ingest organic fertiliser or pesticide. I want to wash it off whatever it is
     Also : my stomach is the canary down the mine. I could rent myself out to scores on the doors
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 4,037
    Buy the grapes and then you have a wash.
  • B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,006
    ?

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • edhelkaedhelka GwyneddPosts: 2,267
    I don't read instructions like that but I've been taught to wash all fruit and vegetables (wash = rinse under the tap). The only controversial thing is bananas - I've always washed them but my first serious boyfriend did not. I used to think there were pesticides on them and I would get them on my hands (maybe a bit too paranoid). Now I don't wash them but I still wash other fruit that's eaten peeled (citruses).
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 7,649
    Clothes, bedding and towels definitely get washed before being worn (except things like coats that are dry-clean only, or waterproofs).
    Most bought fruit and veg get a rinse under the cold tap unless its going to be peeled, potatoes that won't be peeled get a scrub with a nail brush if there's soil that doesn't want to rinse off. I don't always wash my home-grown toms, cucumbers, chillies and salad leaves unless there's visible dust or muck on them.