Forum home Problem solving

Weeds

Common visitors to my garden this year we’re clumps of Prunella vulgaris and Wild violets. The violets were in my border and so I left them alone as they looked so pretty in the spring but the Prunella was a bit invasive. Also creeping buttercup was everywhere! I think they like my rich damp soil. Would you recommend adding grit to the soil or more organic compost to discourage them or am I always going to have a battle with them?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 73,779
    edited 16 November
    I just accept and enjoy them as part of my wildflower lawn. 😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Not sure how some extra grit in the soil or organic compost would discourage wild plants from growing about the garden. They are only weeds if you think they are in the wrong place. I spend a good amount of time pulling up the creeping buttercup but there are always more growing and I actually stop for a while in spring when they are in full bloom as I like the bright colour they bring with their flowers. I also encourage the selfheal as I have seen it be so popular with the pollinators and found it has not been very invasive. The only viola I get are self seeded from cultivated ones I have planted out but I don't think I would count the wild versions as weeds in the garden here. I think having a garden requires regular weeding but I don't really consider it a battle.

Happy gardening!
  • B3B3 Posts: 19,412
    I love the little violet. It's welcome anywhere. The creeping buttercup not so much!
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Not sure how some extra grit in the soil or organic compost would discourage wild plants from growing about the garden. They are only weeds if you think they are in the wrong place. I spend a good amount of time pulling up the creeping buttercup but there are always more growing and I actually stop for a while in spring when they are in full bloom as I like the bright colour they bring with their flowers. I also encourage the selfheal as I have seen it be so popular with the pollinators and found it has not been very invasive. The only viola I get are self seeded from cultivated ones I have planted out but I don't think I would count the wild versions as weeds in the garden here. I think having a garden requires regular weeding but I don't really consider it a battle.

Happy gardening!
    Thank you for your input. I thought if I made my soil more free draining it wouldn’t encourage the creeping buttercup which love damp ground. I quite enjoy weeding but this little devil has runners that spread everywhere it seems and inhibit growth of other plants so I have to try and keep on top of it.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 41,349
    Creeping buttercup grows in any kind of soil, wet or dry - the runners spread on top of the ground :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• So it seems I’ve just got to try and keep it under control once it becomes too invasive. A bit back breaking when you’ve got a large garden but at least I can see what’s growing underneath now.