Forum home Plants

Plant for a windowless bathroom

Hello, I'm looking for some kind of plant for my small bathroom. Its windowless, with one extractor fan that comes on with the light. What kind of plant, if any, would be suitable? I know nothing about gardening, and in the past have managed to kill a variety of herbs, including basil, rosemary and mint. So I'm also looking for something easy to look after. Thanks.

• I forgot to add, my bathroom is unheated.
  • Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,811
    A quality plastic one?  I have a spider plant growing in my windowless classroom, but the tube lights are on it for eight hours a day five days a week.  It's a nice cheery bright lime green, rather than the rich dark green when it first was put in there a few months ago.  It's sending out a number of babies, so it must be growing somewhat.  

How are the light levels in that room?  With the door in the normal position and lights off.  Is there bright indirect light from another room?  

Herbs can be tricky.  Get yourself a few spider plants.  Water them when the soil feels dry, and make sure the soil drains out into a saucer you can empty.  Keep one in a good light position and one in your bathroom.  Swap their places once a week, which is about how often you'll probably need to water.  Saturday is my 'check the houseplants' day.  Find what works for you.  
    Utah, USA.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,884
    All green leaved plants need light to produce chlorophyll, which is the stuff that makes them green and makes them go on living. Unless you are going to install a timed electrical lighting system similar to the one used by illegal cannabis growers in attics no plant is going to survive more than a few days in a windowless and unheated room.

Forget it. You could try mushrooms though.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • StephenSouthwestStephenSouthwest Southwest EnglandPosts: 288
    Spider plants and peace lillies are robust and will survive low light levels, but they won't survive no light levels!
    You could perhaps try growing one of each - one in the bathroom, and one somewhere with more light, and swap them over on a weekly basis. Keep the bathroom door open to let some light in...
  • LoxleyLoxley Posts: 4,115
    You could install a grow light to replace your bathroom light bulb, but you'd have to leave it on all day.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 6,739
    I wonder if there's a niche market for portable plants? Kind of like the old chamberstick candle holders but with plants.
    A great library has something in it to offend everybody.
  • ErgatesErgates Devon, east of ExeterPosts: 948
    I think StephenSouthwest’s suggestion of rotating a couple of plants is a good idea. I’d go with a couple of cheap peace lilies and move them round. The fake plant idea is worth thinking about too, you have the added advantage that you can stick them under the shower now and then to stop them getting dusty!
  • madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 2,398
    edited 15 November
    I would also go for a quality fake plant if you like the look.
    Having a windowless bathroom and en-suite myself I have always thought a plant would look nice but when the lights go off it is pitch black!!! (I know because we had a powercut while I was asleep in the bath and woke up wondering where the heck I was!!!)
    “Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • Thanks for all the suggestions. I don't have a plug socket near my bathroom, so no grow lamps for me. I will give this a miss, it will be a waste of time and money. I might buy a small Snake plant for my main room, although this rarely gets any natural light, there is at least 'light'. I already have a faux Peace Lilly, which is growing nicely. The leaves are nice and green despite never being watered. I should wipe the dust of them though...
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 7,058
    No heating you are brave.are you in the UK? Personally I dislike fake grass and plant's. However I have a south facing glass porch,with a window one side open and the door, it becomes an inferno. My back north facing conservatory reaches 40c no plants kept in there in the summer. I bought a selection of quite nice succulents,which frankly look like my real ones. (Whispering it quietly) got some from Poundland,Primark,wilko