Forum home Problem solving

Sweetpea help

Hi, I am attempting autumn sowing for the first time and some of the sweetpea leaves look eaten up, I am not sure why. I have laid broken egg shells at the bottom to deter slugs. Any good advice would be much appreciated 

• PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 3,422
    Eggshells won't stop slugs but it looks like the stems are very close to that wire frame so the slugs will just climb up that, anyway. You need to place the pots where they cannot be reached from any point if you want to stop slugs. However, the damage is very minor so I don't think you need to worry much at the moment.
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 3,740

Eggshells are probably marginally less effective than putting a Post It note on the pot saying ‘Slug free zone’. 

As Posy says the leaf damage is very minor and nothing to worry about. For future protection move the plant well away from the grid and even consider putting the pot on bricks in a large water filled tray so it is protected by a moat. Another option that is reasonably effective is a smear of Vaseline around the outer rim with salt liberally rubbed into the jelly.

Have you pinched out the growing tips? It’s time to do so. Then, ideally, move the plant to a sheltered location where the temperature is just a few degrees C.
  • Thank you both! 
    Yes I have pinched them. Although after I did, I watched Roger parsons YouTube video on how to care for sweetpea seedlings and he said he waits until January to do so, especially with autumn sowing, so the plants have side shoots before planting out in the spring. I am no expert and this year for me is trial and learn. I am baby sitting the sweet peas in the green house over winter and hoping they make it to spring. Our army of slugs are vicious here- most of our veggies last year were abolished. Is the copper tape any good? Thanks
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 3,740
    For every YouTube video you see of slugs recoiling when encountering the tape you can find another of them ignoring it. Unhelpfully the answer is ‘maybe’.
  • PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 3,422
    Sometimes! I was nearly defeated by slugs before I summoned up the blood and took to slug patrols with torch, rubber gloves and a bucket. It works.
    The important thing about placing your pots safely is that nothing touches anything else. If a slug can stretch across from a wall, stick, leaf or pot edge, it will. The water bath really works and is cheap  quick and easy - but no touching of anything beyond the safe area!
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,179
    I'd pinch those out now. They look very leggy, and will get leggier. 
    Unfortunately, if you have lots of slugs [as we do here] it's a relentless process. Eggshells certainly won't stop them. As the others say- they can bungee in from any support too. 
    You'll probably find you'll need to sow more in late winter/spring depending on where you live.   :)

They don't need cossetting either - just kept from the worst of weather.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....