Forum home Problem solving

Counteracting a high acidity on new lawn

Jenny_AsterJenny_Aster In the Cambs FensPosts: 527
Hi All.  Newby here  :)

We've just moved into a new build; the back garden was laid to turf about 6 weeks ago and appears to have taken well.

The problem is my dog. Rusty is coming up to 9 years old and he has a pancreatic problem. He's on a strict clinical hypoallergenic diet as instructed by the vet. Unfortunately every now and again he has a pancreatic flair up which results in him vomiting bright yellow bile. Obviously he rushes into the garden when he starts to vomit. This bile I understand is mega acidic and it's causing patches of lawn to die, it's just like it's been splashed with weedkiller.

I'm just wondering if there's something, say an alkaline product, where I can counteract the problem?  Where I can, I do try to flush the vomit with water.

Writing this down, I can see we'll probably have to live with this.

BTW removing the problem, ie my much loved dog, isn't an option - not in a million years! ;)

Trying to be the person my dog thinks I am! 

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,081
    My lawn looks similar but that's just my dog (bitch) having a wee on it.
    There's not much you can do other than pour a gallon of water on it to stop the grass getting burned and dying back. You don't need anything specifically alkaline which may cause more problems.
    The grass will recover and green-up again after a while even if you do nothing.

I do feel very sorry for your poor dog with pancreatic problems.
    I suffered a severe episode of acute idiopathic pancreatitis in 2005 - the pain was off the scale - and according to my consultant considerably worse than childbirth!

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Jenny_AsterJenny_Aster In the Cambs FensPosts: 527
    edited November 2021
    Thanks for your reply Pete.8, you're right, this is something we'll have to live with, it was just a 'dream' that there was a quick fix out there.

Thanks for your sympathy for Rusty, when he's ill he normally curls up in a ball and sleeps until the episode passes. Now we understand what's happening, he's fully recovered within 24 hours. He's so sensitive what he can eat, a lick of blood from a raw meat container or a slither of sausage can cause him such grief. 
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,081
    Just pouring some water onto the affected area will dilute it enough to not be a problem.
    But even if you forget, the lawn will recover quite quickly anyway.

I know how poor Rusty feels, and it's not nice.
    Fortunately I recovered quite well even though I lost 75% of my pancreas.
    On the plus side I cannot put on weight despite eating lots of naughty things.
    Give Rusty my best wishes :)
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 6,629
    All I can add is, try to pour plenty of water on the areas straight away if you can, before the damage to the grass is done. I know that'll be hard with your attention on poor old Rusty when he's ill. Maybe keep a couple of filled watering cans outside so they're handy when you need them.
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 5,313
    If you are keeping water handy you could put a little bit of washing soda (NOT caustic soda) in it, if you can still find it. It is an alkali but not a very strong one, my father used to reccomend it as a cheap moss treatment .
    AB Still learning

• Jenny_AsterJenny_Aster In the Cambs FensPosts: 527

On the plus side I cannot put on weight despite eating lots of naughty things.

If I had a choice, being unable to put on weight despite what I ate and a lottery win..... not sure which I'd choose  ;)

Keeping a watering can full of water is now on my agenda   B)

Will try the soda, I believe Amazon stocks it, I'll get some, it's a handy product to have even if it's only to stretch the washing powder. 

Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda 55 oz. 

Thank you everyone! I'm so glad I found this forum :)