Forum home Problem solving

How can I get rid of insects from house plants?

Hi all,
I’m  really enjoying my house plants and I’ve discovered that there are few small flying insects in the pots. I don’t over water but they are there. I understand they are called gnats. Attached is a photo.

what can I go to get rid of them?
Back in the day there used to be a product by Baby Bio, where one could push these tiny card arrows into the soil and that would kill or repel the insects.

what’s the best and fastest way to get rid of them? I’d like to move onto keeping orchids and other more complex house plants but I must  get rid of these nasty critters.

thanks

• FireFire North LondonPosts: 15,724
    edited November 2021
    I've had a terrible infestation of these gnats inside this year. I thought initially they were fruit flies, but they in every room with no fruit, veg or food scraps out in the kitchen. For me I think I made the mistake of mixing home made compost into the medium at some point and there must of been fly eggs in there.

One way round might be to repot the plants into fresh bought compost. Some garden centres recommend Mosquito Bits / Dunks in the pots to put off the gnats. They do work but they're not cheap.

• Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,907
    I use the yellow sticky glue traps, they work great.  I just cut into strips a few inches wide and lay them across the pot lip or around the plant. I get them once or twice a year.  Either from compost in the spring when I repot or pot up, or in the fall when I bring a few plants indoors for the winter.  

Utah, USA.
  • Trying not to use chemicals.... what about insectivorous plants?
    Sundews and butterworts will catch the little flies whilst the bigger pitcher plants will take on the larger flies.
    Give it a go.
    We have and very successful.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,102
    If you put a decent layer of grit on the top of the compost this prevents the flies from getting into the compost and laying eggs in the first place.
    It takes a couple of weeks but you should see the number of flies diminish.

I've not seen them on potted orchids as orchid compost is very different to normal potting compost and not suitable for egg laying flies.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.