Forum home Fruit & veg

Salad leaves over winter in cold greenhouse

agoodrumagoodrum Nottingham Posts: 39
Hi all.  This will be my 2nd year of growing rocket, mizuna and mustard in a cold greenhouse in autumn into early winter.
I have the door permanently open for airflow and sowing was at the end of September.  The photo shows the growth so far to date.
Last year was very successful and I managed to pick all through into early spring, but does anyone else do this and have good results with other types of crops that I could try?

• agoodrumagoodrum Nottingham Posts: 39
    Cold greenhouse meaning unheated. 🙂
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 6,629
    I don't have a greenhouse but if I did I would try this. They look very good!
    Thanks JennyJ. 
    You could try, next year, one of those plastic framed zip-up greenhouses.
    I started with one of those years ago and they can do a good job, particularly against a wall. 👍
    I used to have one of those "blowaways". It blew away in a gale (despite being weighted down and tied to hooks in the wall). I might try it in the cold frame if I can free up the space, but it's way too late for this year.
    This was last year on Christmas day, so hoping for the same again. 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,159
    I don't get any substantial growth, trying to grow anything in the greenhouse over winter. Just isn't warm enough. 
    I can just about keep lettuce in reasonable health, but there's no growth as such until it warms up in April or so. 
    I have rocket outdoors, but I only grow the wild one. It's very hardy so it works well here.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• I think quite a few of us have been doing this for a number of years - it's well worth making the space to keep some "greens"going over winter.
    A lot of the "cut and come" stuff is ideal and there does seem to be more choice available these days.
    As for what else you can try, I do radichio and Mazur lettuce but I'm pretty sure others have mentioned the likes of Pak choi, etc.  I think that might be on the "Veg to sow in winter" thread.  Could be worth checking that out ?
    I think it's worth a go here - I'm not very far north of Nottingham - but probably sowing early September at the latest so they've got good growth before the colder weather and short days kick in.
    I'll have a look on the winter vege thread thanks phillipasmith2.  New to this forum thingy, so just working it out. 🤔
    Nice to 'chat' with people who have a shared interest rather than the toxic environment on other social media.
  • StephenSouthwestStephenSouthwest Southwest EnglandPosts: 373
    I do this too - lovely to have fresh salad through the winter,
    I also sow cress (it grows taller if you let it!), winter purslane, Valdor lettuce, American land cress. I'm trying turnip greens for the first time this winter...