Forum home Problem solving

Does anyone remember Monty's advice on patio/path cleaning with sand?

Hi, I have searched and I can't find the GW programme where Monty Don suggested using sand to scrub his slippery patio. The programme was this year. I don't want to use a pressure washer as we suffer from very a soggy lawn and Monty mentioned he used a type of abrasive sand to clean his paths etc. I just wasn't sure which type of sand to use. Thanks

• LG_LG_ SE LondonPosts: 3,923
    From his website:

'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,545
    edited November 2021
    As someone with a garden on a steep slope and a couple of stone paths that go up and down that slope, I can say be very careful to sweep all the sand off once you have finished. Loose sand on a stone path on a hill creates a slick, shiny, treacherous surface.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Thanks for your help :)
  • cmarkrcmarkr Posts: 122
    I think it was last year because I used the advice on our drive last winter. Was a lot easier to use the pressure washer though
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 9,637
    Somebody on here a while back advised using diluted biological washing powder to kill off moss but I can't remember the dilution rate - sorry. Thought I might try it on a small corner of our moss covered old tarmac drive.
  • Thanks I might have to resort to the pressure washer but I'll try some powder first maybe. It's probably worth trying a little bit of everything and seeing which is easiest and gets best result :)
  • Try Wet and Forget. It's superb. Sometimes chemicals are worth it.