Forum home Problem solving

Tree stump

Hello,
I had a tree cut down, as advised by the forum, it had bracket disease and was starting to lean over.
As in photo you will see, the inside is so soft, I could not believe how it was still standing.
my problem, the guy who previously ground stumps out for me, has sold his machine to purchase a bigger one, access into my garden was through a 29 inch wide doorway in the side of the garage, his new machine is far too big.
I do ask, as the inside of the stump is so soft, is there a way I can remove myself, I don’t believe in using chemicals etc 
I have seen for hire near me, a small stump grinder which will fit through any doorway, can I do it myself ?
I am a retired engineer and very used to using machinery etc
Any help appreciated 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 32,373
    In about a year you could probably break it up with a sledgehammer.
    Devon.
  • Really, do I just leave it as it is ?
    Many thanks
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 32,373
    I'd say it'll just continue to rot.
    Devon.
  • steephillsteephill Posts: 2,476
    You could burn it out. A search on Youtube should bring up a few vidoes showing how to do it but the basics involve cutting a deep cross in the stump to get airflow into a small fire which you maintain on top of the stump. It can take many hours to burn up the stump but it is a free method not involving muscle power.
  • many many thanks to you
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,317
    We had a large ash stump ground out using a grinder which was about the size of a good sized petrol rotary mower which wheeled through our narrow side path gate. 
     The chap hired it and the protective goggles, gloves etc. Think he hired them from Screwfix but I may be mistaken about that. He ground it down to below the level of the surrounding soil … we were pleased with the job as it was done. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 4,405
    While leaving it to rot is a good idea, you could help it along with a large diameter drill. Alot of holes for water to get into will help.
    In the meantime plant over it, either direct in a raised bed or in a planter, just to hide it.
  • Many thanks to all of you, a great help  :)
  • Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,907
    Steel toe boots and an old axe that you don't mind hitting a rock or two helps speed up the rotting process.  Once you get it below soil level you can just top over with soil or compost and mow over as normal.  You'll need to keep adding soil as it rots down, but unless you are after a perfect yard it's an easy way to deal with it.  
    Utah, USA.