Forum home Problem solving

Lawn Health

Picture shows issue with widespread weeds (daisy, dandelion etc) on small north easterly facing lawn. Lawn often in shade at front of house. Previously neglected  I have several years of raking away moss and dead grass , light forking to allow air circulation and spot weed removal not seemingly helping at all. Do I have to kill off and start again???

• If the weeds are repeatingly coming back I would suggest killing the grass of and starting again

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,198
    Are you related? Very odd to have such similar forum names  :)
    NE facing sites aren't great for grass, so it'll be a never ending job if you want it to be 'grass'.
    A spring weed and feed, and regular mowing will keep it looking fairly green, and you can then spot weed anything that pops up either by digging out or using a weed killer just on the weeds themselves. Avoid cutting it too short as that just gives weeds the upper hand.
    Keeping the edges properly trimmed will also help the appearance.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• You spotted it!! Yes it's my daughter posting to cheer me up as no one had replied....bless her 🤭😄 making me feel better.....she forgot her name would appear...thanks for your REAL reply👍👍
     :D 
    Sometimes replies happen quickly, and sometimes they don't!

• puschkiniapuschkinia BrightonPosts: 157
    I'm not sure this is helpful but I think your lawn looks lovely as is! I've also got a NE back garden and you've got far fewer weeds than me :lol: 
  • Thank you Puschkinia, very kind. I suppose we get caught up in wanting a perfect space but a garden should be as natural as possible, really, I suppose. It does come up nice in summer. Thanks again.👍😄
  • AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 10,423
    I wouldn't worry to much about it until the Spring, it will take a bit of a battering over the Winter in any case.
    As @Fairygirl says, you can then start a regime using a "weed and feed", there are several brands on the market . Follow the instructions carefully *
     Do a little research and try to get one more suitable for a shady lawn if possible.

Dandelions can be taken out using a long handled trowel, but you have to dig right down to get every bit of root. Personally l like daises in a lawn  :)
    Once you get on top of it it's easier to maintain little and often (l'm assuming you don't want a bowling green !).

* Just to say, if you choose Evergreen 4 in 1 for heaven's sake read the instructions carefully. There have been several threads on here where people haven't done that and then practically obliterated the lawn. 
    I had to smile at your daughter trying to lift your spirits  :) 
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 6,658
    The same goes for any of the feed, weed, mosskiller type products. If you use one, it needs to be spread thinly and evenly, and don't use more than the instructions say. If in doubt use less. Don't be tempted to just chuck on that last bit that's left in the packet.
    My front 'lawn' looked a lot worse than that when I moved in here. It was mostly buttercups, dandelions and various other stuff. A few years of just a weed and feed in spring, and proper maintenance [ie regular cutting ] and it's now mainly grass. I occasionally spot weed any creeping buttercup or dandelion that appears. 
    It's mossy in winter, but it's north to north west facing, so it's shady, and that's fine. I do nothing else to it - no autumn feeds, no additional feeds through summer, no scarifying etc.

A good tip is to do a feed only first. That means everything grows more quickly, and then the weed and feed works better. The advice about less is more is definitely worth listening to - and wait until the ground is damp enough too. That's another very common mistake that many people make, applying to dry ground.   :)