Forum home Problem solving

Paul Scarlett

We planted a Paul Scarlett two years ago, but it has become really loose in the ground. Not sure why, is stealing again enough or are there wider problems, not rooting etc?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,264
    Hi and welcome to the forum  :)

I take it this is Crataegus Paul's Scarlet ... the crimson-flowered hawthorn?

Is it staked?  How tall is it?

Can we see a photo of it please ... click on the little 'landscape' icon above the text box and follow the instructions to download a photo ... if the pic doesn't appear reducing the size usually fixes the problem. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Thank you for replying so quickly, we have only just noticed the leaves are brown in part, wondering whether it may have blight aswell?
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,264
    edited November 2021
    Well, it's autumn, the leaves should be changing colour and falling any time now.  

It's quite tall ... it must've been quite a size when it was planted and it has quite a number of other trees and shrubs around it ... has it been regularly watered between March and September since planting?  Any other care regime? 

Is the stake secure?
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,145
    I think the original planting, and ongoing care, is the problem - for the reasons @Dovefromabove describes. 
    If it wasn't properly staked to start with, and if the rootball wasn't firmed in well, it will have moved around too much, preventing good establishment, and leading to further problems with moisture, or lack of it.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....