Forum home The potting shed

SCAMS!

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 19,940
    Was it Martin Lewis or one of the money experts on tv,  someone put his photo to a saving scheme as if he had recommended it, people went by his recommendation lost lots of money.  He came on  Tv and said it wasn’t him and to take no notice, too late by then. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• B3B3 Posts: 21,531
    The whole Black Friday thing.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • PhaidraPhaidra Posts: 501
    Uff said:
    I received the following yesterday and forwarded it to BT. ...

Needless to say, I can still access my email account.

So glad the scammers failed, Uff !
  • PhaidraPhaidra Posts: 501
    edited November 2021
    B3 said:
    The whole Black Friday thing.
    Perhaps somewhat different?

The type of scam that the open letter tries to prevent, fraudulently uses names and photos of well known personalities whom, generally, people trust. 

Unless this type of fraud happens with Black Friday advertising too??
  • Names and photos of personalities who people trust, no can't think of any.
  • Artemis3Artemis3 Posts: 644
    Yesterday, my sister received a phone call from an, apparently, local number.  When she answered, a young woman was crying hysterically, saying, "Mum, I've just had a car accident and I've been arrested...."

My sister doesn't have a daughter, so she let her cry on till she came to the bit about needing money URGENTLY.  She told her, "Better luck next time!"
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 14,164
    How random. How is that ever, ever going to work?
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 19,940
    There just might be some mum around who doesn’t know what her daughter sounds like on the phone. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Sam 37Sam 37 Posts: 978
    I have, over time, had several phone calls from, apparently, BT, Talktalk, Virgin engineers to sort out my faulty internet connection.  Fortunately for me, I have never been with any of these companies!
  • Zoe P2Zoe P2 Posts: 584
    Artemis3 said:
    Yesterday, my sister received a phone call from an, apparently, local number.  When she answered, a young woman was crying hysterically, saying, "Mum, I've just had a car accident and I've been arrested...."

My sister doesn't have a daughter, so she let her cry on till she came to the bit about needing money URGENTLY.  She told her, "Better luck next time!"
    How lucky that your sister doesn't have a daughter!  To have a "daughter" being arrested after a car accident and crying hysterically must be very upsetting. 

I would've most certainly believed her, as my own daughter was in a similar state when she had her car stolen in the middle of the night and couldn't return home.  She was just 18 and in an absolute panic. 

She didn't ask for money but I had to go and get her!   

I have a dream that my.. children.. one day.. will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character

Martin Luther King