Forum home The potting shed

SCAMS!

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 74,844
    @fire … I would contact your nearest passport office …. or failing that, your MP … he or she is supposed to be your liaison with the Home Office. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FireFire LondonPosts: 12,134
    "your MP is supposed to be your liaison with the Home Office. "

An interesting thought. Thanks.
  • BigladBiglad East LancashirePosts: 2,182
    I've just had an e-mail purporting to be from HMRC as I'm owed over £4000 and should have my credit/debit cards ready and click the link before tomorrow's deadline :o 

Don't do it folks!
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 4,937
    We've had a lot of calls purporting to be from Amazon about our prime subscription renewal. OH does have this, but it renews automatically unless he stops it. As far as I can tell, Amazon don't do any of their business on the phone with customers.
    Then there's the pretend-HMRC ones along the lines of you owe £££ in unpaid tax, phone straight away or your national insurance number will be cancelled (or maybe it was NHS number). I can see why that one might frighten people.
  • Zoe P2Zoe P2 Posts: 568
    Last week my daughter received one of these; today it was my turn!

Needless to say, we don't have them. 

I have a dream that my.. children.. one day.. will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character

Martin Luther King

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 8,513
    I've just had a text purporting to be from the NHS, telling me that as I'd now had my booster , I must apply for the Covid Pass, otherwise I could be fined.
    That rang alarm bells, as there's no fines that I'm aware of and the txt/email ended in .com.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 12,134
    Biglad said:
    I've just had an e-mail purporting to be from HMRC as I'm owed over £4000 and should have my credit/debit cards ready and click the link before tomorrow's deadline :o
    I'd really recomend a better spam filter so you don't even have to see all this guff.

• Zoe P2Zoe P2 Posts: 568
    Before marrying my husband's brother, my SIL had been married for several years and had 2 children.  After her second marriage, they, and the children, lived in the old house, as she successfully bought out her first husband.

About 3 weeks ago, she received a letter from a fairly local shop (using correct address but old surname), reminding her to pay a certain installment on the "electric cooker" that she "had bought". 

As she had done no such thing, she completely disregarded it.

Last Saturday  morning, they received a landline call asking if Mrs X (by her old surname) lived there.  My BIL had taken the call, and, naturally, replied, no.

How that scam worked, I have no idea!

I have a dream that my.. children.. one day.. will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character

Martin Luther King

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 19,487
    @Fire. I agree.   I had Hotmail,  full of junk so I deleted it. I don’t see any spam with the one I’ve got now. 
    Unfortunately lot of people believe some of these scams and everyone in their contacts lists are at risk as well.   
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Helen P3Helen P3 Posts: 816
    Zoe P2 said:

How that scam worked, I have no idea!

An old Phone Directory?
    Electoral Roll records?

I attend (used to!) certain adult classes, where we gave names and phone numbers to tutor who photocopied them and passed the whole lot to each one, so if there was no class on a certain day she would phone just the first person on that list and each one in turn would phone the name after theirs.

Crooks have their ways.