Forum home The potting shed

SCAMS!

• ErgatesErgates Devon, east of ExeterPosts: 1,508

If you really think there is a possible concern. Put the phone down. Have a cup of ea before you do anything. Calm down. Breathe. Call family and friends to talk through options. Assume it's a scam but use another phone (or a family member's phone) and call HQ to check.
    Another good reason to phone family of friends immediately after receiving an unexpected call from the bank etc. If you phone your sister, and your ‘bank’ answer, you’ll know immediately someone is up to no good!
    If a caller doesn’t hang up, the line stays connected even if you have hung up, as I have found when one of my sisters grandchildren has been pressing the buttons on her phone and managed to call me. Left my phone unusable for ages.
    I don’t know if this anomaly has now been rectified, and this no longer happens?

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 19,942
    It’s still the same with my landline,  I don’t hang up after a scam call, just leave it on the table.  After awhile the phone screeches at me to put it back in the cradle.
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Ergates said:  as I have found when one of my sisters grandchildren has been pressing the buttons on her phone and managed to call me. Left my phone unusable for ages.

Something very similar happened to me several years ago.  My daughter and her husband went to Scotland for the New Year and left my 2 year-old grandson with me.  

About midday, on NYD, two policemen arrived at my door.  My daughter had been trying to contact us but found my landline permanently "engaged", so she sent the police round to check that we were all well!  (She knew the mobile those days lived permanently in the glove compartment of the family car, so no use calling that.)

My grandson, had knocked the receiver off the phone base in one of the bedrooms and being upstairs, we didn't hear it buzzing for hours!
  • Helen P3Helen P3 Posts: 832
    Gosh, your poor daughter!

I imagine you had a bit of a heart attack when you saw TWO policemen at your door!
  • Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge WearsidePosts: 3,319
    If anyone gets the Carphone Warehouse calls (from London numbers), it isn't actually the CW calling but some scammers. After I threw a fit with Carphone Warehouse (I contacted them online after receiving multiple tedious phone calls in one morning) they told me they no longer had a call centre, only store and online, and the numbers I reported were already on their scam list.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 14,166
    I tend not to pick up landline calls from number I don't recognise, which is a bit of a bastard for family trying to call me from overseas. I ask them to leave a message and I will call back (expensive for me). Older relatives and friends get quite upset that I never answer the phone. Yes, I should collect their various multiple numbers and put them in all my phone contacts, but there are many and ever changing.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 14,166
    Here's a question for those that know such things. I received passport details at my address - govt papers - for a name I had never heard of. I sent them back to the govt address given, concerned. A British passport then turned up at my address by courier. I didn't open the packet and said I couldn't accept it as it was not for me, though registered at my address. Legally it might count as theft also. A few weeks later the passport arrives through my letterbox - unsigned for. From her majesty's govt - Looks all kosher and real.

The question is - what to do. I assumed it was someone trying a scam, as the address is full and correct and multiple papers have turned up. It's a bit alarming that the govt didn't check more thoroughly before issuing it.  I worry about ID theft and/or credit score problems if someone random is registered with my details. I have been at the address for nine years and I know the names of the previous few owners going back 20 years.

I don't think you can just phone up the home office. I don't want some dept just to take the papers and say "we'll look into it" and never hear about it again, if there is some kind of ID deception going on. It's hard to see any way that it could be a genuine mistake.

Answers on a postcard please....  Thoughts and inspirations....
  • I had around three months of people calling my mobile phone saying "I have a missed call from this number", when I assure them that I hadn't used the phone all day they sometimes got shirty but truly I hadn't phoned them or even picked the phone up for days. I believe it's a known scam called "cloning" what they hope to achieve from this "cloning" I don't know.
    Sometimes professional people get scammed so its understandably how older people can get confused by the scammers and do silly things like giving out pin numbers as they are probably too trusting.
    My big question is how do people set up phone numbers which charge hundreds of pounds for a short call are the phone companies as corrupt as the scammers?
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 19,942
    I’m not sure that they do register for numbers,  I think they have a computer which throws out random numbers, they know the area codes,   they only know it’s a real number when you say hello.
    I never speak when the phone rings,  it just cuts off then.
    Anyone that knows us, knows we do this so they just say hello first. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• tui34tui34 Béziers, Herault, FrancePosts: 1,986
    @barry island  I had this all during October.  Everyday.  So as I said before, I don't answer and if there is no message within the few following minutes, the number is blocked.
    A good hoeing is worth two waterings.