Forum home The potting shed

SCAMS!

• amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 2,296
    My exact experience @JennyJ and anyone with an android phone can access that part of the provision which is useful. 
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 4,937
    @amancalledgeorge , do you happen to know whether the phone app changes with Android 12? Or any other security improvements? I have the option to upgrade, but most of what I can find out about it is about the "look" rather than the functionality. I'm disinclined to do the upgrade just for appearance.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 12,134
    Artemis3 said:

A parcel delivery scam

Jason, an old neighbour of mine, just told me that about midday yesterday, a DPD parcel with an iPhone12 in it was delivered at his home.  The name and address were correct; but, he had not ordered a phone.

A minute or two later, a man in DPD uniform appeared.  Jason told him that the parcel had been addressed wrongly.  He said he would take it back.  Jason asked for a confirmation note.  He said he would get it from the “van”.  Jason followed him.  There was no van anywhere.  He told him, “the other delivery man must’ve taken it for nearby deliveries”, and continued to walk on.  Jason followed.  Suddenly he sprinted towards a black car that was waiting for him and sped off.

That's so ornate.

I know of other ornate scams where people phone pretending to be from the govt, banks, the water company or whoever. If challenged they offer a phone number to call so details can be checked. Or the home owner say they will call British Gas, HSBC or whatever to make sure the concern is kosher and authentic. The home owner then puts the phone down and prepares to call the main company number, perhaps found on through Googling HQ customer services. But in fact the scammers have a way of keeping the line open, even though the phone was put down. The first call was not disconnected. So, when the home owner make the checking call, the scammer answers "hello, British Gas"  as if is a new call and as if a real receptionist is answering. They then confirm that yes, the concern is authentic and British Gas do have a problem with bill payment, or whatever the same is.

I guess the way to be sure with this is - never give out personal info, pin codes, account details to anyone calling you. You have no idea who they are and no way of checking. If they ask for birth date, for example, assure them that it's them that should be confirming with you, not the other way around. But I don't give out personal info to anyone  calling me. I say I will call the HQ. TO be safe, then use another phone - not the number the called you on. If they called you on a landline, call the HQ on your mobile.

I used to have a real go at the Co-op bank, back in the day, for calling me and asking me to confirm me info. Completely clueless. I think they're better these days.

- - -
    Never feel panicked into making rash decisions. Scammers use the tactic pile on the time pressure to make you do daft things: Your account has just been hacked and thousands are just about to be taken.  You have to act in this minute to avoid disaster (no time to think). Your bill payment has bounced and your account is just about to be shut down.

If you really think there is a possible concern. Put the phone down. Have a cup of ea before you do anything. Calm down. Breathe. Call family and friends to talk through options. Assume it's a scam but use another phone (or a family member's phone) and call HQ to check.

• FireFire LondonPosts: 12,134
    tui34 said:
     I don't open any Email from weird people who tell me that I have a parcel with an illegible address waiting for delivery. 

I do recommend Gmail accounts for spam catching. Spam never turns up in my inbox. The filters catch it all. I occasionally go through my spam folder to check no kosher messages end up there, as they do sometimes. There are downsides to being with Google, but their filtering and filing systems are excellent.

My old dad had terrible problems with Yahoo Mail as they had no real spam filters and he was forever getting alarming spam messages and begging letters. It's so much easier and less irritating to never have to see them.

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 19,487
    You can refuse the parcel but by then the hacker already has your name and address, 
    it called Brushing. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• PhaidraPhaidra Posts: 498
    This year, in particular, has been very rich in scams.  During the summer months, I had at least a dozen of this sort of email:

More recently, they've been telling me that I've been..."chosen"!!

Today, my daughter told me that she's received a very similar "threat" from "microsoft".

It's so sad that some people do click on the links they supply.
  • Helen P3Helen P3 Posts: 816
    Phaidra said:

More recently, they've been telling me that I've been..."chosen"!!

Today, my daughter told me that she's received a very similar "threat" from "microsoft".

It's so sad that some people do click on the links they supply.

Lately, the "chosen", "winner" and "lucky" variety of scum emails have been a daily experience for me.  Tiresome.