Forum home Problem solving

Plants

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,289
    Hardy geraniums don't need protecting. They can be outside even as tiny plants.
    I assumed you meant pelargoniums. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Fairygirl said:
    Hardy geraniums don't need protecting. They can be outside even as tiny plants.
    I assumed you meant pelargoniums. 
    Well on the packet it say's nothing about hardy , I've just looked it up it's a half hardy so a degree of protection is required 
    What name is on the packet you've bought?
    Strictly speaking, pelargoniums are geraniums, but there's a huge difference in terms of care, between the hardy ones, and the non hardy ones which are called pelargoniums. 

• Fairygirl said:
    What name is on the packet you've bought?
    Strictly speaking, pelargoniums are geraniums, but there's a huge difference in terms of care, between the hardy ones, and the non hardy ones which are called pelargoniums. 
    Landscaper Red 
    That must be a pelargonium then, so it isn't hardy. It needs frost protection, and then acclimatising in spring before going back outside  :)

• Fairygirl said:
    That must be a pelargonium then, so it isn't hardy. It needs frost protection, and then acclimatising in spring before going back outside  :)

You need to explain this to me , Geranium on the packet , yet you're saying Pelargonium . That's where it becomes confusing , I don't have this trouble with seed potatoes on the allotment .
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 80,525
    Hmmm not quite.

What some folk call geraniums are actually pelargoniums. They are the ones used for summer bedding, pots, containers, window boxes etc  and as house and conservatory plants and they are not hardy in the uk. 

Real geraniums are hardy perennial garden plants and  often called ‘hardy geraniums’ to try to save confusion. 

The confusion  is not helped by some garden centres still calling the pelargoniums ‘geraniums’ even tho they know it’s wrong and muddling for new gardeners who look up ‘geranium’ and see them called ‘hardy’ so they leave them out all winter and they die … and buy some more from the garden centre the next year 😡 

I
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Hmmm not quite.

What some folk call geraniums are actually pelargoniums. They are the ones used for summer bedding, pots, containers, window boxes etc  and as house and conservatory plants and they are not hardy in the uk. 

Real geraniums are hardy perennial garden plants and  often called ‘hardy geraniums’ to try to save confusion. 

The confusion  is not helped by some garden centres still calling the pelargoniums ‘geraniums’ even tho they know it’s wrong and muddling for new gardeners who look up ‘geranium’ and see them called ‘hardy’ so they leave them out all winter and they die … and buy some more from the garden centre the next year 😡 

Thank you for that 

I did say earlier that pelargoniums are geraniums [strictly speaking] but there's a huge difference between them and hardy geraniums, which is why I asked what you had.  :)

Some places will still call them geraniums [as @Dovefromabove says] but it's highly misleading.  

• Fairygirl said:
    I did say earlier that pelargoniums are geraniums [strictly speaking] but there's a huge difference between them and hardy geraniums, which is why I asked what you had.  :)

Some places will still call them geraniums [as @Dovefromabove says] but it's highly misleading.  

Well as long as you know what the difference is , thanks very much for all your help it was very much appreciated