Forum home Plants

Rowan tree berries - thoughts on the different colours available.

a1154a1154 Sunny South Scotland Posts: 1,033
On a walk I saw someone had put in lots of different rowans: red, orange, yellow, pink and white berries. It did look attractive and I’m adding new trees to a bit of woodland at the moment. Do you like the different coloured berries or are they a bit….hmm…why not stick with red? I wasn’t sure about the white to be honest. I rather liked the pink though. 
Please list any favourites for when I go shopping (not just for berries but autumn colour, form etc).

• B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,033
    I prefer red or, at a pinch, orange 
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • chickychicky SurreyPosts: 10,295
    We’ve got a Copper Kettle that has berried for the first time this year.  Its five years old and is making a very shapely tree, with good autumn leaf colour too.

• chickychicky SurreyPosts: 10,295

I’m also partial to Pink Pagoda 💕
  • TopbirdTopbird Mid SuffolkPosts: 7,579
    I have a lot of shrubs (particularly roses and crab apples) which produce red berries or hips and a few orange ones. A neighbour has a rowan with pink berries (probably Pink Pagoda) and I'm giving serious consideration to buying one - it looks lovely.
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,152
     I like the red and orange ones in a woodland setting 'cos they look more natural ... I think the pink and yellow are more suited to gardens.  Don't really like the white ones.  They look a bit insipid.  
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• LTobyLToby Posts: 184
    I like our yellow berries-Rowan tree (aka Joseph Rock) as the foliage is magnificent fiery orange red in early to mid-Autumn. 

sorry the lower pic did not come out clearly ..

cheers, LT

Aberdeenshire, Scotland
  • BigladBiglad East LancashirePosts: 2,761

This one seems popular in our back garden ;)
  • The red berries don't last long on ours, they were eaten weeks ago by the local blackbirds, so i wouldnt mind a less palettable colour if the display lasted a little longer. Not that I begrudge the blackbirds their feast, it's why I planted them anyway.

There is a white one near me and it looks great from 50 metres, which is as close I get. I'd have one but agree they aren't the nicest one. 

To add to the ones already mentioned, eastern promise and autumn spire are nice for autumn colours.
  • I planted 3 this autumn. Joseph Rock, Glendoick Spire and Glendoick White Baby. With other berried shrubs and trees already in the garden i'm hoping for a colourful display in the years to come, and hopefully a long lasting feed for the birds.
    Sunny Dundee
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,991
    I love the native one, but there are loads of rowans offering various colours, and most are stunning depending on your own preferences. J. Rock is excellent if you like yellow, and Olympic Flame has great foliage colour. S. sargentiana has great berry colour [orange]

The only ones I really dislike are the pink ones - but that's only because I loathe pale pink  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....