Forum home Problem solving

Fungi

Hi there I have a hunch but can anyone identify the fungi in the picture and if/how I need to clear it.

Many thanks
Lesley

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,415
    Can we see a pic of the underneath of one of them please?
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Thanks for your reply, pic below of underside and also pic of lots of tiny ones in a separate area in the grass, not sure if these are the beginnings of the same.
  • SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 1,509
    The small ones in the grass are not the same, most lawns have some tiny little brown jobs as I like to call them. The larger mushrooms, well yes I think you have probably guessed correctly they look like honey fungus to me.
  • There's a photo of bulbous honey fungus (armillaria gallica) in this month's RHS magazine.
     They look similar to yours but more advanced in the magazine photo.
    The accompanying text states that a.gallica only attacks weak plants.  Could it be breaking down buried remains of an old tree or shrub?

I don't think what you have is armillaria mellea, the aggressive species, but I am no expert.
  • Thanks for the reply, aside from carefully removing everything I can see, is there any treatment I can put in the area to kill anything off completely

• No, there is no treatment. 
    The primary means of colonising are the black underground rhizomorphs. Spores from fungi landing on freshly cut wood can theoretically infect, so I always remove the toadstools of honey fungus here because I do have the aggressive species, and lots of pruning cuts,  wind damaged branches, exposed tree roots etc.
    This autumn they seem to be very prolific.
    Others may have different views, but that's what I do, but I don't know if this is worth doing with that species too.
    I would remove them myself, just in case.
  • Many thanks again for everyone's replies, will be out in the garden as soon as it stops raining.  :)

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,179
    There's no need to remove the little brown ones in the grass. They're just doing their job of breaking down stuff underground.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....