Forum home Problem solving

Patchy lawn

Looking for advice for my lawn please - turf laid in late spring this year. Watered regularly when new. It was looking happy and healthy but now lots of dry yellowy patches. Should I feed it or leave it til spring? Thanks!

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,195
    How well prepped was the area before turf was laid?
    How much has it been watered after the first couple of months?
    It's easy to think it's getting enough water after a month or two, but if the roots aren't properly established, and there are long-ish dry spells, or wind as well as sun, grass will dry out quickly unless the prep has been good and the turf has had good contact with the soil below. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• It was watered regularly for a few months. A gardener laid it for me so not exactly sure what’s under there. They did put top soil down. Just wondering what I should do now to help it
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,474
    edited November 2021
    I think the best thing at the moment will be to leave it alone and stay off it as much as possible this winter. 
    Don’t feed it until spring. 

Cut it lightly in mild dry spells if it continues to grow, but only take the tips off. Don’t cut it short. 

I would give it seaweed feed in late March or early April and then start a regular weekly cutting regime with the mower set in medium height. 

I think it’ll be fine. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Thanks so much! It’s at front so should be able to stay off it. Thanks again for your help
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,195
    Cutting too much off at any one time is always a bad idea, so try to take minimal amounts off, especially when it hasn't been done for a while and is a bit long, or during hot dry weather. Little and often is the best method for healthy grass. You have to go by your conditions.  :)
    It possibly hasn't had the best prep, but it'll be easier next year if you get a regular programme of care. It won't take much to be greener and healthier. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Thanks! Fingers crossed!