Forum home The potting shed

🦍CURMUDGEONS' CORNER XVIII🦍

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 8,569
    A lovely cardigan @Pansyface and such a shame you lost it. I presume the value now is under your house insurance limit?  That said, I don't think I could ever justify spending that much on a cardigan. Some of my cheaper clothes have lasted for years so it's difficult to generalise on cost per wear.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 19,360
    edited December 2021
    I couldn’t in all conscience claim it on the insurance. I’m just a nitwit and I left it behind.  Besides, whenever you claim on insurance they just put the premium up the next year. 🙄

I take the long view.  I still have a cashmere sweater that I bought in 1989. Admittedly, I now wear it on cold days in the garden. Cashmere these days isn’t a patch on what was made 30 years ago. 

I used to teach homestay foreign students English. One young one once asked me in amazement “Are all your sweaters cashmere?” I said that they were and that the one I was wearing that day was older than she was.😊

My “best” daytime coat is a Shoeffel and it’s actually three coats in one. I bought it in 2012. Here is this year’s version of it. When you consider the cost of three coats that have covered all four seasons over ten years the initial outlay doesn’t seem so extreme.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,988
    I love that cardi @pansyface.

I think the most expensive item I have is a full length beaded evening dress from Monsoon which is very simply cut but fits every curve and looks great.  Pity I have nowhere to wear it now.   Can't remember how much it cost but it was in the sales.  I bought a velvet calf length evening skirt and a subtle black and gold brocade evening jacket at the same time - 20 years ago.   Probably £200 for the lot.

When OH was working in the city (IT contractor) in the mid 80s I decided he really did have to stop wearing his ski jacket over his suit on cold winter days so we went looking for a proper overcoat.  £300 in the Harrods sales so off we went to Liberty's where I bought enough proper Harris wool tweed for £30 and made him a coat.   The fancy lining fabric was more expensive at £45 and we still have the coat, looking not a day older despite its 36 years.

I don't knit and wool and cashmere make me itch so I make fitted fleece tops or buy acrylic jumpers and cardis.  
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 8,569
    Just watched The Winter Farm or whatever it was called on Channel 5, thinking it was going to be a bit of relaxing slow tv. What an awful, awful programme!  Why, oh why do the producers have to dumb everything down. I quite like Jules Hudson on ETTC and thought he might be worth watching on something different.  Wrong. Can't stand giggly girls at any time.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who can't wear wool and as for mohair, can't even touch it.
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 5,071
    I like cashmere. Can't afford a jumper, but I have hats and gloves made from recycled cashmere - lovely and warm and often much better 'weight' than if I bought new ones. Sorry about your cardi, pf. It's lovely :(
    “There is no military solution
    Doesn't always end up as something worse”
  • Songbird-1Songbird-1 Posts: 3,599
    @pansyface, does the hospital  have a Lost Property Room? Might be worth asking there about your cardigan. 
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 30,514
    I have a suede jacket from Ralph Lauren which was £450 but I didn't buy it. 
    It was given to my about 30 years ago by a friend who said " it looks better on you than on me, so have it " 
    Devon.
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 7,250
    edited December 2021
    I also cannot wear any type of animal wool. I hope that cardigan is hand knitted. I've got a trench coat (old man calls my collumbo or flashers Mac) have had longer than him,which is nearly 33 years. It will never date.my grump: been living here 10 years,as you know I do child care for youngest daughter and her kids,she applied for social housing in our area,she works Normally ft hours, 8 a day less breaks,5 days per week,has to earn bellow £30.500 a year,has 12 year old girl,10 year old boy sharing small room,their clothes in airing cupboard and her room. After 5years residency by us,she is eligible to apply. It's an 80 mile round trip in rush hour for me if one of the kids is ill,it can take 2.5 hours. 90 minutes on a good run. Guess what they add her housing benefit to her wages. She wouldn't need housing benefit here,that would be a huge social savings. She is privately renting, cannot afford a 3 bedroom house. She is gutted.Oh, because she's been refused.
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 7,220
    Our orange wind warning has changed to red, from 4pm today to 1am tomorrow...   :s
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 5,966
    I will happily pay a lot of money for good quality walking gear, but never paid more than I had to for any clothes I wore to work, despite the fact that I would wear the second type far more.
    The most comfortable trousers I have are classed as walking trousers but I now wear them almost exclusively.