Forum home The potting shed

🦍CURMUDGEONS' CORNER XVIII🦍

• ErgatesErgates Devon, east of ExeterPosts: 1,148
    We had a massive fatburg under the road in Sidmouth. Took them weeks to clear it. Amazingly there was hardly any smell while they were working on it. It became a bit of a tour attraction, locals would stop to thank the workman for their efforts, and one lady was baking cakes for them every week!
    Despite being very careful what we flush or drain, we had our main sewer pipe block up a couple of years ago. Overflowing drain covers, or what the nice repair man called an ‘unexpected water feature’! ( if only it had been water!) Turned out it was caused by tree roots which had collapsed the clay pipe. First time I’d had to claim on the house insurance, so glad we were covered.
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 3,278
    I am confused why the shop cannot be named. Is it rude? I bought Chateau Arse wine once simply because it is rude.
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 4,532
    My sister lives in a cul-de-sac,  and a few years ago they had issues with  the drains backing up. Young couple with young children,  nappies down the drains, tried to deny all knowledge,  luckily the council and water co sorted the issue and the people. 
    AB Still learning

• KT53KT53 Posts: 5,933
    I saw the item on wetwipes and was equally shocked.  Over 90% of drain blockages are caused by them.  The Government is quick enough to ban things when it suits them, so simply give the manufacturers a fixed, and short, timescale to come up with an alternative which doesn't contain plastic and is fully biodegradable in x weeks/months. The world seemed to tick along nicely without wetwipes so they can't be classed as essential.  Convenient, but not essential.
  • B3B3 Posts: 19,955
    edited November 2021
    I've never understood why wipes couldn't be sold as dry paper to which you could add a sachet of whatever you choose or essential oils. Add this to a measured amount of tap water. - or just plain water.Pour onto the paper and bobsyeruncle. Cheaper to transport. No preservatives etc needed as you would be making them 'fresh' in whatever quantity you needed.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 4,937
    The trouble is, the shops are full of wipes for every kind of cleaning, not just babies. I think a lot of people see them as an easy thing, use, throw away, forget. I have some antibacterial ones that we use to wipe over the bathroom surface before we do our covid tests (then they go in the bin with the other test rubbish) but apart from that we use washable flannels, cleaning cloths, dusters etc. Our parents did the same and they didn't have automatic washing machines when we were children so it's a doddle for us by comparison. If throwaway wipes were banned tomorrow the world wouldn't stop turning.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 74,844
    It's crazy ... there's wipes for washing the floor with now ... Boris says he doesn't want to tell people what to do, just give them the information so they can make choices .... it's about time he learned that some things are too important to be left up to people's choice ... as a parent he should have learned that ......... or maybe not 🙄
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 4,937
    People in general can't be trusted to make the right choices, even when they're easy and take hardly any effort. There are too many people who'll do what's most convenient for them and to hell with the wider consequences. Look at COVID and voluntary mask-wearing. I popped in to Aldi yesterday evening on my way to my evening class and I think I was the only person in there with a mask on. At the class there are maybe five of us out of about 15 who still wear masks on the way in and out as per the request on the door of the community centre. It makes me more than a bit grumpy.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 19,273
    Am I the only person here never to have used a wet wipe or had one used on me?

A cotton hankie and a generous bit of spit was the preferred cleaning method when I was a child.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • B3B3 Posts: 19,955
    edited November 2021
    Do you remember that awful handbag smell off an old hankie?
    In London. Keen but lazy.