Forum home The potting shed

🦍CURMUDGEONS' CORNER XVIII🦍

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 9,271
    Hi @Liriodendron, nice to hear from you. How are you getting on in your Irish adventure? Hope you've settled in well and that your new garden's taking shape.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley South ManchesterPosts: 347
    edited November 2021
    I've lost count of the times I've burned all the hair off my hand lighting our gas hob. Terrible design. Does anyone recommend induction hobs? If I can get a cheap enough quote for a heat pump under the new grant system I might go completely gas free and finally regain my luxurious hand hair.

We have a small kitchen so we only have a built in oven.
    We've had induction hobs for over a decade. They are now quite inexpensive.

You can have double ones or fitted in ones, but for us that defeats the object as we only usually need one hob at a time.

They are cool to the touch when working.

As soon as you've finished cooking, just give them a wipe over with a damp cloth and once the fan has stopped, unplug them and put them away in a drawer, or whatever.

We have two, but usually only use one at a time. When not in use it's "filed" on it's edge on a worktop, leaning against a tall cupboard, so takes up little storage room. the other lives in the carousel under the worktop in the corner of the kitchen.
    You need steel based pans.

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 7,568
    Thanks I'll have a look. Growing up in a place with frequent power cuts has always made me favour gas but we hardly ever get them here now. I'd have to amend my stir-fry technique too I imagine.

A great library has something in it to offend everybody.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 7,568
    Fairygirl said:
    ...but do you have luxurious foot hair....
    When I was younger I wanted to have Hobbit feet but they seem to get less hairy with age :( 

A great library has something in it to offend everybody.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,510
    Knotting the end of the thread?!  
    Not in my ‘O’ level dressmaking class we didn’t… only for tacking. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 7,736
    I have a Zannussi induction hob. I love it,am so glad we didn't go for a gas one. We had gas in our last House. I remember all the faffing about dismantling the rings to clean, now it's just a wipe over. Looks a lot neater in my micro kitchen,and it's a lot cleaner. I had an extractor in my last kitchen just above the cooker same as here,I don't do much frying,yet the last kitchen needed much more cleaning,the tiles, even the spotlights.
  • ErgatesErgates Devon, east of ExeterPosts: 1,509
    My recently installed Neff induction hob is just brilliant. I actually enjoy cleaning it! Previous gas hob was a nightmare, anything spilled or boiled over got immediately heat welded to the enamel surfaces. Yes, I have heated the pan handle by mistake, very unpleasant. The induction hob just seems so much easier, safer and cleaner. Today I used the timer for the first time, and it switched off the pan I was boiling eggs in after 10 minutes. A lot easier than me forgetting what I was doing, and finding it had boiled dry!
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 6,462
    Not all pans work on induction hobs so that needs to be checked. 
  • ErgatesErgates Devon, east of ExeterPosts: 1,509
    My saucepans were fine, and the right diameter for the ‘rings’. I did have to buy new frying pans, but found some in Ikea. So far they are doing well, and I haven’t been getting the burnt food marks on the sides of the pan that I got with the gas hob.
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 7,444
    Hi, @Lizzie27 and thanks for the greeting!  I'm still hovering around on here, but a bit busy with Stuff at the moment so I'm not posting on Forkers until things settle down, because it takes up lots of time and energy I don't have...

Ireland is lovely, and the garden is very gradually taking shape.  :)  
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore