Forum home Garden design

planting a new rose garden in a changing climate?

Hello all, hoping for some advice please...
I am looking to plan and plant another section of my evolving garden this winter / spring, removing more lawn in the process so I'm not replacing any existing planting. Current favoured notion is an informal / irregular 'parterre style' with low clipped hedges (not box, probably lonicera or ilex crenata) with a relatively traditional rose garden and some spring bulbs in each shape.  This should be fairly low maintenance I'm thinking, bar pruning and mulching (I have a job that is full time and then some and plenty of other parts of the garden that do take plenty of work) and allow a view across in the winter to my 'winter bed' of betula jacquemontii / red dogwood / snowdrops.
My worry is that as climate changes this may need too much water and / or the roses will struggle generally.  I'm in N Lincolnshire, similar latitude to Sheffield and c. 650 / 700mm pa rainfall, soil is generally good with lots of convenient horses nearby for manure!
I would be really pleased to hear any thoughts / experiences of doing the same e.g. any roses that might be better than others?
Thanks...

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 9,264
    edited November 2021
    @Paul449,

Bumping this up for you Paul.

I'm doing much the same thing, planting more roses but I'm taking out my dwarf box hedging as it's diseased. The hedging around my existing roses made it difficult to pick up the dead leaves and add manure at the appropriate times. It also took a lot of the available moisture out of the ground to the detriment of the roses and other plants.

The only comment I could make is that you probably get more rainfall than we do so your roses for the next few years at least should be okay but you have probably much colder weather in N.Lincs so I hesitate to recommend the roses that do well for me. Having said that, David Austins are in Shropshire which can be pretty cold as well?

Hope other rose enthusiasts can advise further. Good luck with your new project.
  • rachelQrtJHBjbrachelQrtJHBjb South BucksPosts: 805
    Hi Paul,

I'd like to make a few suggestions, if I may.

Firstly, I find Ilex crenata is not a go-doer. My friend has had huge success using Euonymus 'Jean Hughes' as a box alternative as it has a dense growth habit and is a good, dark-ish green. I think you'll be trimming lonicera several times a year to keep the outline crisp.

If you are worried about the roses not getting sufficient water how about a combination of spring bulbs (you can achieve a display from late Feb/early March through to late May if you choose a range of species) combined with hardy, shrubby salvias as they flower almost continuously throughout summer with minimal care or pruning.

Just a thought, based on my experience with a hot, dry summer garden. 
  • JessicaSJessicaS East Midlands, UKPosts: 554
    edited November 2021
    Im not too far from you (Grantham way) and roses do very well for me (50+!)  The soil is very good. Theres actually several rose growers based in lincoln too e.g style roses.

Ive mostly got modern roses, hybrid teas. Ive hot a few english roses / Austins and they seem very happy so far. Id definaley go for a few and see how they do for you, but id say likely well!
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 14,091
    That's a fab synopsis @Nollie

"I give each rose approximately 10-12 litres of water 3 x weekly."

Do you do this for roses in the ground as well as in pots; established ones as well as new ones?
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 5,671
    That’s for in-ground roses @Fire. New ones I plant bare-root in late autumn/Winter and they get watered in deeply and then get less at first. Maximum watering is from April to September for roses new and established. Building up to and falling off either side of that period. 

I should have also mentioned shade and orientation. Roses do best with morning sun and afternoon shade here. Full-on south-facing/afternoon sun can be tough for many roses.
  • Thank you all, some really helpful and encouraging comments here.  I'm now much more confident that I can make this work with some good rose choices, mulching and judicious watering (having a well helps, even if I do have to hand pump the water!).