Forum home Problem solving

ID for an unknown fruit.

tui34tui34 Béziers, Herault, FrancePosts: 2,151
Whilst out walking with the dog, I came across these fruits - about the size of a small orange and yellowy green in colour.  They have a rough surface.  The leaves of the tree are turning from green to yellow and dropping off.

Does anybody know what they might be, please?

Thanks
Tui
A good hoeing is worth two waterings.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,544
    Kaffir limes I think.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • tui34tui34 Béziers, Herault, FrancePosts: 2,151
    Oh really?  Therefore edible and so are the leaves - for curries etc.?    Thank you @pansyface  I'll go out tomorrow and bring a few home to cut.  I didn't squish the leaves.  There was a German couple there too who told me that they use them as decoration in a fruit bowl, but after about a month they go brown.    I'll let you know.

PS  @pansyface   The leaves are not of a citrus variety, but quite pliable.  I'm not sure if Kaffir trees lose their leaves in winter.

My first thought was Breadfruit.  I have seen this growing in the Pacific Islands but I thought it was impossible for it to survive the frosts we get here.  I will go down tomorrow the bring some back home.

• Maclura pomifera?
  • steephillsteephill Posts: 2,475
    I would second the Maclura pomifera i.d., known in French as bois d'arc and the fruits taste like cucumber apparently.
    Thank you @pitter-patter and @steephill    Getting closer... I had a look on google and it seems to correspond with this fruit.  I'll have to inspect the trunk and stems to see if there are thorns.  Apparently, the fruit is inedible so much as I love cucumber, may have to forego a "degustation" !!  I'll go tomorrow and cut one in half to show you.   

Appreciate the response very much.