Forum home Problem solving

Eremophila problems?

We planted this Eremophila back in Spring and it seemed to do well, had some flowers over summer and seemed to get bigger. 

However, it’s now looking a little sad, not quite as bushy and lots of needles dropping off it. I’m not sure if this is normal winter behaviour or whether it’s poorly?

Over summer we had a lupin next to it that pretty much dies because of some kind of bug infestation so wondering if this is suffering due to that - doesn’t seem to have any bugs on it now. 

I gave it a very little trim in the hope it just needed a prune and a rest over winter. 

Anyone have one of these to know whether it’s normal, in need of emergency action, or beyond saving?

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,145
    edited October 2021
    I don't think they're hardy here in the UK - are you somewhere more balmy?

Lupins get decimated by slugs and snails, and also by lupin aphid, so any of those would be the most likely reason for that failing.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• BibluBiblu Posts: 27
    Unfortunately not balmy, live in Hertfordshire. When we purchased it I think the label said something about native to Australia, but assumed that given it was on sale in a UK garden centre that it would be ok. 

I’m hoping some other UK people will have one and some knowledge as google just brings up warmer climates. 

Do you think we should fleece it or something to give it a chance?
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,145
    Unfortunately, lots of plants are for sale in UK garden centres that aren't hardy - they might need overwintered in a greenhouse or conservatory.  :)
    Not something I have any experience of though. They'd need to be in the house here. 

Perhaps someone on the forum will have one though, and be able to advise. Fleece may not be enough - it may need a greenhouse, or warmer.  :)

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....