Forum home The potting shed

Scarifying

Hi is it too late to scarify my garden? Started on it with rake and quite a lot of dead grass was coming out.  Someone mentioned it was a bit too late. I was hoping to scarify over the weekend, then put down some autumn lawn stuff.  But now not sure if it is too late / too close to frosts?

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,325
    Scarified grass won't really be affected by frost coming along, but if you plan on using a feed of some kind, you'd need to take the weather into account. 
    It depends where you're located, and what your climate is like  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Dig2006Dig2006 Posts: 36
    yorkshire.
    I'm not sure how much frost you get there, or how soon, so you'd just have to judge it.
    Sorry if that isn't terribly helpful, but you could still scarify, even if you do it lightly, and maybe leave the feed if there was any severe weather coming.  :)
    We get frosts from October onwards here, although we've only had a few so far as it's been weirdly mild this autumn. You'd need to just keep an eye on the conditions for your area, and play it safe if you're concerned at all.  :)

• PerkiPerki Rossendale - LancashirePosts: 2,182
    It is to late to scarify for a hard scarify which it sounds like what you need , usually done September to early October or  March / when the grass is coming into growth . Its done at these time so the lawn still has time to recover, you could do it now but the lawn will look a mess for the next 6 month. instead of scarifying I'd put the autumn feed on the high levels of potassium will help aid the lawn fight off disease and help protect the lawn over the winter from harsh weather and the added iron will knock back the moss a bit.   
  • It'll be fine. Scarify, aerate, throw on a bit of lawn sand and re-seed...even now will be ok.
    I add lime at this time too.

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 6,120
    I think a light scarifying will be fine, but don't go too heavy with it because the new growth will be a lot slower than it would have been a month ago, and check that the feed is one that's designed for autumn/winter use. If it doesn't specifically say on the packet, it'll most likely be a spring/summer feed.
    As @JennyJ is in the same general area, I'd go along with her advice.  :)
    It's definitely what I'd do too. 

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 6,120
    There's no frost in the forecast for the next week or two but sometimes we do get it this early and forecasts can be wrong. I would scarify lightly if I hadn't done it already but I wouldn't sow seed this late here, so don't scarify so hard that you get bald patches.