Forum home The potting shed

Storks

tui34tui34 Béziers, Herault, FrancePosts: 1,965
Every day for the past week, storks are flying over the area in their V-formation, southwards.  I am always too late for a photo, but the spectacle is lovely and today's lot were quite low and the noise was incredible!  

Is the cold coming? 
A good hoeing is worth two waterings.

• floraliesfloralies Haute-Garonne SW FrancePosts: 1,792
    Do they stay in your area @tui34 or do they migrate even further south? We have flocks of Egrets around at the moment, not sure which ones but the cattle Egrets are here all year round.
  • dave125dave125 Posts: 178
    OP, could they possibly be Cranes, they are notoriously noisy whereas White Storks generally aren't
  • I don't remember seeing Storks flying over but used to love watching the Cranes every year ( SW France ) :)

• tui34tui34 Béziers, Herault, FrancePosts: 1,965
    edited October 2021
    @Floralies  Hi.  No they are definitely on their way Sarf!!  Heading for Spain. (or Perpignan!!)

True @dave125 according to google.  The older folk here call them storks and when they fly over, they sigh and nod their heads and say - the cold weather isn't far away!!  Stork or crane, noisy or quiet - the birds are migrating.  Thank you for that info, but I would never dare say that to an oldie here - they would just say Pffft!  
    A good hoeing is worth two waterings.

• ErgatesErgates Devon, east of ExeterPosts: 1,493
    Wow, how lovely.
  • tui34 said:

True @dave125 according to google.  The older folk here call them storks and when they fly over, they sigh and nod their heads and say - the cold weather isn't far away!!  Stork or crane, noisy or quiet - the birds are migrating.  Thank you for that info, but I would never dare say that to an oldie here - they would just say Pffft!  
    That made me smile @tui34 - absolutely no point arguing is there ? :D
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 27,583
    We get storks and cranes here especially on the land between here and the coast as we're on the northernmost edge of the Marais Poitevin.  There's even a village called Les Grues (cranes) and a hamlet called Les Cigognes (storks) and there are blue herons, white great egrets and lots of cattle egrets as it's beef cattle country here.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • @Fire Brilliant links.
    Here's another one