Forum home Problem solving

Tree shaping

Hi
 I wonder if anybody could advise I have two trees in the garden that I am planning on having agree surgeon tidy up as some of the branches look abit top heavy , can anybody tell me when’s the best time to have this done , would now be a good time or am I best leaving them untill spring ?
thanks in advance 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,198
    Most trees would be pruned over winter, but some aren't. Prunus, for example.
    What kind of trees are they? 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• I think ones a blossom tree unsure what the other is though 
    I think you'd need to get the tree surgeon in if you don't know. Presumably they'd know what you have. 
    You could post photos of them here on the forum and you'd probably get an ID for them. We'd need a close up of foliage as well as a general view  :)

• Hopefully the tree surgeon will be able to ID the tree and confirm the correct time - usually over the winter months as per @Fairygirl 's advice.
    If the tree surgeon isn't able to ID the tree, it may be best to look for someone with the necessary knowledge/experience :)
  • The orange leaves are from the big tree which I think is some kind of blossom and the small green leaves are from tree behind the feeder which I don’t have a clue .Thanks 
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 7,572
    The orange leaves look like cherry to me.  That shouldn't be pruned in winter because it can get silver leaf disease, a fungus which is around in winter and enters the tree through pruning cuts.  But a tree surgeon should be able to advise. 
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • What do you think the other tree is behind the bird feeder ? 
    I'd agree with @Liriodendron re that being a Prunus. They're pruned in summer. 
    I can't tell what the other one is though. 

• I’m  unsure what this one is , I’ve been trying to I.d it for a while ?