Forum home Plants

Bulb Lasagne

mchuamchua Posts: 140
Hello, so I’m going to have a go at layering some bulbs this year for the first time.  I’ve picked tulips, iris and crocus. 

I want to mix MPC with grit, but I’m not sure of the ratio. Does 1:4 sound about right? Going by volume not weight.

Thanks 🙏 

• LoxleyLoxley Posts: 4,441
    1:4 MPC to grit sounds a bit heavy on the grit. 2:1 would be my choice although you can probably get away with even less grit, probably. I have actually struggled with my pots drying out too much over the past few years, rather than being too wet!
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,098
    I'd use lots of grit if you're having tulips, especially if you're in a wet area.
    They hate being wet. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

Getting the pot off the ground is probably very helpful.
    Definitely @Loxley :)

• mchuamchua Posts: 140
    Loxley said:
    1:4 MPC to grit sounds a bit heavy on the grit. 2:1 would be my choice although you can probably get away with even less grit, probably. I have actually struggled with my pots drying out too much over the past few years, rather than being too wet!
    Sorry I just re-read my post thinking it was clear. I meant 1 part grit to 4 parts compost. But your 2:1 is compost:grit, or the other way round?

Thanks btw. 
    Yep, I meant 2:1 MPC to grit. I thought you meant 4:1 MPC to grit, that's just the order I read them in the original post. I would up the grit quantity a bit, personally.
    I'd say 2 parts compost to 1 grit would be fine, but I also have to keep mine [tulips] sheltered even with that sort of mix. 
    The climate you have is the defining factor.  :)

• mchuamchua Posts: 140
    Thanks a lot guys. I’ll set up some pot feet as suggested too. 
  • PerkiPerki Rossendale - LancashirePosts: 2,181
    I've never used grit for planting bulbs in pots I've never seen it necessary , I just have a few crocks from blocking the drainage holes , no harm in having add insurance of using grit of course .  Getting the pot off the ground seems more important . I do use sharp sand / grit or grit sand for bulbs going in the ground.
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 7,726
    Are you planting late then?