Forum home Plants

Cannas

Hello everyone,
It is my first year owning Cannas and there are many methods of storage on the internet.

Please could you give me some advice on which method is successful and how to go about it.
Thank you  :)

Posts

  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,789
    I just brought mine into the house or conservatory. A porch is also ideal, or a greenhouse if you don't live in a very cold area.
    Anywhere frost free.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....



    I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • punkdocpunkdoc Posts: 14,946
    I pot mine up, move them somewhere cool, but frost free and keep them slightly damp until next February, when I put them somewhere warm and start them into growth again.
    How can you lie there and think of England
    When you don't even know who's in the team

    S.Yorkshire/Derbyshire border
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,856
    if you live somewhere mild, and have soil which doesn't stay too WET, you can leave them in the ground. 
    Even in here in very wet N Devon clay soil, they stay in over the winter. A ganble which has worked with me for years.
    Devon.
  • punkdoc said:
    I pot mine up, move them somewhere cool, but frost free and keep them slightly damp until next February, when I put them somewhere warm and start them into growth again.
    Thank you, do you pot them up in just compost?
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,856
    LaurenH said:
    punkdoc said:
    I pot mine up, move them somewhere cool, but frost free and keep them slightly damp until next February, when I put them somewhere warm and start them into growth again.
    Thank you, do you pot them up in just compost?
    when I've lifted mine, I just shake off the bulk of the soil, and leave some clinging to them. that's enough to stop them completely drying out.
    Devon.
  • Fairygirl said:
    I just brought mine into the house or conservatory. A porch is also ideal, or a greenhouse if you don't live in a very cold area.
    Anywhere frost free.  :)
    Thank you, I wish I had a greenhouse but I will find somewhere else :smiley:
  • punkdocpunkdoc Posts: 14,946
    I do the same as @Hostafan1, remove most of the soil, just leaving a little, to stop them drying out.
    How can you lie there and think of England
    When you don't even know who's in the team

    S.Yorkshire/Derbyshire border
  • JAC51JAC51 Posts: 174
    Mine are already in large plastic pots. I just cut them down and leave them to overwinter in the garage. The garage has no front so open to the elements but they are far enough back not to get rained on or suffer from frost
  • JAC51JAC51 Posts: 174
    Works with my pots of eucomis bulbs too
Sign In or Register to comment.