Forum home Plants

TM. Bought primulas and violas garden ready, but are they?

a1154a1154 Sunny South Scotland Posts: 944
I’ve bought a lot of…
primula everlast
viola yesterday today and tomorrow 
Got lots, hoping for a good show in a woodland area (it’s not deep shade). They arrived from TM and are in great condition, though even garden ready plants are small, aren’t they? 
I’m in south scotland and it’s warm and dry at the moment. Should I get them in? I’m wondering if there is anything to be gained by potting on and keeping in a cold greenhouse over winter? 
I’ve got lots, so I could try both. 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 45,995
    edited October 2021
    Unless they're in 3 or 4 inch pots and filling those, I wouldn't plant them just now. They'll just be slug fodder   :)
    They certainly wouldn't need to be in a greenhouse though. Totally hardy plants. A sheltered spot against a wall would be enough.

If they're just those wee plug plant things, they would need some protection over winter.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 11,164
    I think you might be being a little optimistic, if they are the size I imagine them to be.
    He calls her the chocolate girl
    Cause he thinks she melts when he touches her
    She knows she's the chocolate girl
    Cause she's broken up and swallowed
    And wrapped in bits of silver
    That's why I edited my post @punkdoc - when I realised the TM probably meant Thompson and Morgan   ;)

• a1154a1154 Sunny South Scotland Posts: 944
    Oh gosh they aren’t plugs, no, but neither are they filling a 3/4 inch pot. I can take some pics, but I gather they need to be potted on. 
    I wouldn't be planting them out then  :)
    Potting on would only need doing if they're filling the pots they're in too.

Ah the root growth isn’t as impressive as the top growth. Thanks for the advice. 
    I’m still very pleased with the purchase. TM get a lot of negative comments, but these are good and very cheap. 
    The problem arises because the info given on many of  these sites seems to assume we all live in the balmy south  ;)

But I do live in the south!  ;)
    a1154 said:
    But I do live in the south!  ;)
    Almost tropical there  ;) 

I have another question about the primula everlast. I potted them on as they were too crammed in, and put them in the unheated GH. The roots are doing well. 
    I’m losing some of them though, to a grey mould. If it gets on the leaves I cut them off, but if it affects the centre growth, I’m losing the plant. 
    I must admit they are still crowded, and that seems to be a factor. Possibly watering from the top doesn’t help either, though I’m keeping them well on the dry side. 
    Any thoughts on getting rid of this mould and keeping the plants healthier? It doesn’t seem to have affected any other plants, so they may be prone to it. 
    I could put them outside, I think the are in the GH more for my benefit than the plants, but as I say, other hardy plants aren’t affected.