Forum home Problem solving

Bindweed

What is the best way to get rid of bindweed which is out of control and strangling other plants

• Is there any way other than digging up as it is a large area
  • cmarkrcmarkr Posts: 122
    Glyphosphate
  • Is there anything more natural as concerned about impact on wildlife 
  • Roundup is an alternative to trying to dig it out. It will kill everything the spray touches. 
    I have used it and covered the plant I wanted to keep with a plastic bag so the spray doesn’t get on it. Also , found that a spray in the morning is the best time. Usually calm before a breeze and plenty of time for the take up of the poison. It’s supposed to cancel it’s self out when I touches the soil. Bind weed needs a strong solution and sometimes a second dose. Valerie 
  • Thankyou.  So it won't affect the soil or the beetles worms, fungi etc? The area is a haven for wildlife so I don't want to upset the ecosystem if I can help it
  • StephenSouthwestStephenSouthwest Southwest EnglandPosts: 373
    I keep bindweed under control by pulling the roots up, and leaving the plant to die. It will come back, but much weaker. It's a quick and easy job, about once a week in the growing season. There's no need to untangle and pull the whole plant off - it'll dry and disappear fairly quickly. Over time you'll get less and less...
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,159
    I'm afraid if you don't use a weedkiller, you'll spend forever trying to get rid of it, unless you only have a small amount of it just now.
    Providing a cane or similar for it to grow up, then applying it, and covering with a clear plastic bag , is the easiest method, and avoids getting it on other, more desirable planting. Always pick a still day to do it, and make sure you do it when the plant is actively growing for it to have any effect.
    Late October wouldn't generally be a good time to do it. 

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• a1154a1154 Sunny South Scotland Posts: 996
    No point spraying or painting glyphosate on the leaves at this time of year. Pull the roots out and commence battle next spring. 
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 32,380
    I'd just leave it alone until next year. 
    Every broken bit of root makes a new plant  = another plant to kill. Leave the network to start growing next year then start zapping it.
    Devon.
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 6,629
    I think I'd get some long canes, stick them into each bindweed clump and leave them until spring. They'll head up the canes and be easier to treat with glyphosate gel and rubber gloves.