Forum home Problem solving

Beginner Garden Help - Moss & Weeds

Hi all,

I’ve been living in my home for almost 3 years - the house was a new build when we bought it. I’m embarrassed to say we have done nothing with our garden except cut the grass! I am not a gardener at all but keen to learn.

We are hoping to get a dog within the next year so I’m really wanting to sort the garden out, and hopefully be able to spend a lot of time out here in the summer, especially as I am working from home.

It’s a fairly small garden, however with lots of weeds and a lot of moss. We do get a lot of sun in the garden when we have it of course, it is south facing. There are a few holes where I have dug up some weeds, and from digging these up I have found that the soil is clay soil.

We are wanting to extend the patio at the back and front to the full width of the garden, so up to the fence ideally, just so we have some space to put a bbq and some seating without it needing to go onto the grass. I was also looking at getting some raised flowerbeds put in down the length of the garden by the fence, just to give it a bit of colour. So with this being done, we will be left with practically a square of grass in the middle of the garden.

Do you think my lawn is salvageable without needing to start again completely? I’m assuming there isn’t much I can do now with the weather etc and waiting until March/April is probably the best thing to do? I understand I’ll need to scarify & aerate the lawn to get rid of moss and help with drainage, but any other tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

• B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 22,389
    I wouldn't bother with a lawn. 
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 6,644
    I wouldn't bother with a lawn either, in such a small space. It would most likely not look good with a dog digging, weeing etc on it. Make the flower bed bigger than you think you need (narrow flower borders always look too skimpy once they're planted up) and pave the rest so you can easily hose it down if you need to, when the dog's been out there.
  • Thank you both, I’ve never thought about not having a lawn!
  • B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 22,389
    I think it's the best idea. Use the money you would have spent on a lawnmower on plants😊
    In London. Keen but lazy.