Forum home Plants

Planting bulbs in an orchard.

berrettsberretts Posts: 4
I have purchased 190 various naturalising Spring bulbs for my small semi shaded orchard. dwarf daffodils, small tulips, crocus, fritillaries etc. Do I need to buy bulb fibre for them and if so how many litres would be recommended? I have read that it is not wise to use ordinary garden compost as this can be injurious to the bulbs.

• steephillsteephill Posts: 2,192
    I think bulb fibre is normally used in pots of forced bulbs so no need for it or indeed garden compost when planting in the ground. I have certainly never used it.
  • berrettsberretts Posts: 4
    Many thanks Steephill. I was imaging the cost of bulb fibre would be twice the cost of the bulbs!
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 8,177
    I agree with Steephill - absolutely no need to use bulb fibre when planting into soil.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 73,715
    Confirmed. Bulb finer is only for container growing. Plant them direct in the soil at least twice the depth of the bulb. They’ll be fine. We’d love to see some photos in the spring 😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 41,327
    Agree with the others - not needed for your project. The only thing I'd add is that tulips need sun, including the species ones. They may not do so well if it's shadier, so try and find the best spots for them.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

Many thanks for all the advice above. I feel more confident now.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 73,715
     :D 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 10,121
    I would heed @Fairygirl advice that Tulips will not do well in a shaded position.
    Southern trees bear a strange fruit
    Blood on the leaves and blood at the root
    Thank you Punkdoc, I'll experiment with some in sun and some in semi shade.
  • muckyhandsmikemuckyhandsmike GlosPosts: 46
    well I’ve planted daffs, tulips, iris, crocus and snowdrops etc and have used compost for some of them - I wasn’t aware that it was not advisable. I await spring with interest .....
    maybe I should dig em all up ?