Forum home Problem solving

Saucer Magnolia with White/black mildew spots

Does anyone know if these black and white mildew looking spots on my new saucer magnolia is normal or bad? The nursery that I bought it from said it's normal because it's fall and the tree is going into dormancy. That's how the leaves shed. I tried to look this up and see if it's true, but I couldn't find anything other than that it's powdery mildew.

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 20,573
    I’ve never heard of a saucer Magnolia, but all leaves suffer a bit when autumn arrives. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Lyn said:
    I’ve never heard of a saucer Magnolia, but all leaves suffer a bit when autumn arrives. 
    Thank you Lyn! A Saucer Magnolia is a type of Magnolia that produces beautiful pink/white flowers the size of saucers. So this is pretty normal for most deciduous trees? Sorry, it's my first time planting a tree.
  • Hi - magnolia soulangeana. Powdery mildew is usually exacerbated by dryness. If the plant is in a pot, then it is easy to underestimate how much water is needed! I guess since it is deciduous, then the affected leaves will drop off and it will probably not do any damage. Important to ensure it is well watered in spring.