Forum home Problem solving

Peach tree saturne

Hi all, this photo is of my little peach tree, the flat sweet one caller Saturne.  Does it look as though it is in trouble to you. The stem is covered in white spots and they are slowly spreading upwards to the branches. There were no fruit on them this year but the leaves are green. It’s been with me for 5 years, last year it had a few fruit on that were delicious. The dark patch is where I put some sticky to stop the  caterpillars  climbing up. My question is what is it, and what can I save it with. Many thanks to you all. I was just going to cover the area with cow manure.  Valerie 

• Hi @Fairygirl , could you have a look at this tree for me please. It’s in my little greenhouse where the fungi is. Do you think they are in any way connected or is it just a coincidence. Thanks Valerie 
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,337
    I can't be sure from that photo, but it could be a type of scale insect.  If so, they should come off with a stiff nylon brush and some slightly soapy water.  Before you try that, can they be easily removed by a fingernail?  Is there any liquid if you squash one?  Either of those would indicate insect rather than fungi.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Thank you for replying to my problem. I shall check it out when I get home, I was so worried when I noticed it that I didn’t go a thorough usual check. I’ll be home soon to investigate, Valerie