Forum home Plants

Hawthorn(?) Shrub / Tree Relocation

Dave HumbyDave Humby Posts: 1,145
I have the following shrub, which I assumed to be a hawthorn, which I would like to relocate if possible due to a pending patio installation. I say 'assumed' as it doesn't appear to have thorns?

It's around 9' tall and looks like it was planted either in it's pot or perhaps the base of the pot was cut-away. Not sure why this would have been done?

It has looked in OK health since we arrived here in Jan. It seems to be feeling the effects of autumn right now. The new patio is due to be installed in mid-November. What are my chances of a successful translocation? Any tips to give me the best chance? Thanks

• thevictorianthevictorian Posts: 1,249
    The chances are good and it's the perfect time to move it. Just follow the normal advice of trying to get as much root out as possible and make sure you keep it watered well next year until it establishes. They are hardy plants and the pot will angle the roots downwards quite a bit which might help. I'd start a few feet outside the trunk as the roots might have spread if the bottom is indeed off the pot. If it is still in the pot then the roots will have broken through the drainage holes and might be more brittle, so you'd need to be careful in that instance.
  • Dave HumbyDave Humby Posts: 1,145
    Thanks @thevictorianzFH0qqPW. Would you suggest I stake it in it's new position?
  • thevictorianthevictorian Posts: 1,249
    You can stake it but whether it needs it depends on how exposed the site is and how much of the roots you can get out. At 9 ft you are probably better staking it for a year or two and I'd use a stake at 45 degrees to the trunk just to stabilise the roots but allow the top to flex a little in the wind.