Forum home Plants

Pyrus calleryana Chanticleer / Trees for screening?

A friend who is a landscape gardener has suggested this tree to me to use as my screening trees in my new garden project. The idea is to buy about 8 mature ish trees to act as a screen against the neighbours garden. I've been struggling to find any options I like the look of as they're all very bush/hedge like and while I do want some privacy and screening I'm more keen on the natural look than the overly manicured (not keen on pleached either). I liked the look of his suggestion but Google tells me they are known for have stinky flowers! I wondered if anyone has one of these trees and could attest to this?! Any/all other suggestions of natural/soft looking screening welcomed  :)

• Super tree.
    Never knew about the stinky flowers.
    I row of 8 may look very formal.
    Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,819
    At least that smell might keep the neighbours at bay @gilla.walmsley  :D

Just bear in mind that more mature specimens need a lot more care for their establishment. Should be easier if you're doing it at this time of year though, or through winter.  :)
    Are you sure you need 8 though?
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • I really lovely the shape of that tree Silver Surfer. But I think after a lot of Googling, I've decided not to go for a row of screening trees. I can't find anything that looks how I want it to look, which is probably because of the nature of what I'm trying to do. I think instead I'm going to forget the screening trees idea and go for a smaller number of individual trees, one of which may still be the Pear. 

I realise this will take longer to block out the view as they will need to mature, rather than the immediate screening I would get by planted a row of photinina or similar.... but everything like that I've seen looks very hedge like - which is its purpose! - but not visually the kind of look I'm really wanting.

Fairygirl yes I'm aware of the care - I tended dutifully to my three Himalayan Birch trees last winter/this summer! Maybe if I could find a way to whiff the smell of flowers over to Mr Creepy that might work  :D 

Maybe I should start a new thread, but all small ish tree recommendations welcome  :)
    Perhaps a small fan could be employed for the 'wafting' @gilla.walmsley  :D
    I'd always recommend Sorbus [mountain ash] as they're such great trees, and there's lots of varieties, but they do like moisture, so that may not be so suitable if you're in a drier area. The other Sorbus - whitebeam, is a lovely tree. Silvery green foliage. They have a good spread on the canopy, and generally grow in that nice 'tree' shape. Not fussy as to conditions. 
    I like the weeping ornamental pear [similar colouring to the whitebeam] Pyrus salicifolia Pendula, but they take a while to get bigger, and may not be big enough for what you want. 
    Almost any of the flowering cherries might suit. There's a couple of more upright varieties too, depending on the space and the look you want. 

• Good idea on the fan  :D  :D 

Sorbus is on the list! Although my garden is south facing and quite hot. I think a neighbour has one growing ok, so hopefully if I look after it it will be ok. So far on the rest of the list is:
    - Kanzan cherry (my mum had one in her garden and it flowers on my birthday so lots of good memories)
    - A crab apple (not especially pretty but because they're good for wildlife)
    - Amanchelier (I've been wanting one for ages)
    - Acer Campestre Elegant (saw one and liked it)
    ... and about 100 other things that I will somehow need to whittle down!  

I've given up on the Evergreen idea - can't find any I like the look of that is quick growing - so I'm going to go with the trellis all along the fence for privacy and (eventually) the framework of the deciduous trees as privacy, as well as the pergola of course.

I also love weeping trees fairy girl so I might have to make room on the list for one!
  • Balgay.HillBalgay.Hill Posts: 1,085
    Crab apples can actually be amazing in my opinion.
    A garden i pass has a Butterball growing that looks spectacular as autumn turns into winter. Every branch is smothered in small yellow fruit, and it glows with the sun on it.
    I've just planted one hoping to get the same effect.
    Sunny Dundee
  • Oh lovely, I have seen a Butterball. I was planning to go for a Red Sentinel just because I think the fruit is particularly good for the birds, but I'll definitely check that one out too!
    You'll have too many to choose from now @gilla.walmsley  ;)