Forum home Plants

Prepare Soil for hedge planting (Removal of Turf)

billyp7WmtKKMbillyp7WmtKKM Posts: 31
edited October 2021 in Plants
If removing Turf with Turf Cutter to plant a portuguese laurel hedge.  Is it a good idea to put down a weed killer down due to turf being removed or should I just manually rake it out and remove weeds?  Or is this not advised?

I stay in remote area next to windy fields and I have already planted 250 portuguese laurel in June and to be honest the weeds came through with a vengeance all summer after planting.

I have weeded a few times and my thought was to do this a few times before I get the mulch down to make sure most are out, but any advice would be great.

I get mixed reports as to I should have put weed killer down and most are saying no best not to, just mulch asap.  thanks in advance,

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,462
    edited October 2021
    Non-residual weedkillers only work on plants with green growing leaves so once the turf has been removed there'll be nothing green left to spray. 

Residual weedkillers will stop anything (including your hedge) from growing for months/years so don't be tempted to use one of those.  

So remove the turf with the turf cutter then dig out any perennial weed roots.... after the hedge is planted the area should be mulched with something like composted bark ... that'll help keep any weed seeds in the soil from germinating, but you will have to regularly weed with a hoe or by hand to stop weeds that blow in on the breeze from taking root, and also to keep any surrounding grass  etc from encroaching.  There's no short cut I'm afraid.  
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 6,131
    If you're using a turf cutter it'll take off the shallow-rooted weeds along with the turf.
    For whatever's left, weedkiller won't work unless there are active growing green leaves on the weeds, so that'll probably be springtime now. At this time of year it would be better to dig or fork over a strip of land where the hedge is going to go (after stripping the turf), removing any weeds and roots as you go, then work in some well-rotted manure or bagged soil improver from the garden centre unless you're lucky enough to have good rich but well-drained soil already (most of us don't, and if it's been under lawn for a long time it could be compacted and fairly depleted).
  • billyp7WmtKKMbillyp7WmtKKM Posts: 31
    edited October 2021
    Thanks for your responses, I just thought that due to my experience with rest of hedge when planted having lots of weeds growing through the hedge when removing the turf, that I should maybe have have added something, but it seems that I don't need weed killer and should just focus on removing any weeds before hand manually and prepare soil with some nice turf/compost and maintain weeds regularly.  It is just a big task and want to get right as my garden is an acre surrounded by hedges.  
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,462
    ... my garden is an acre surrounded by hedges.  
    Sounds gorgeous .... lucky you  B)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• RedwingRedwing Posts: 1,156
    When we planted hedges we used grass cuttings as a mulch for the first two or three years.  It worked well; supressing weeds, keeping moisture in during the summer months and providing a bit of nitrogen as they rot down.
    Based in Sussex, I garden to encourage as many birds to my garden as possible.