Forum home Problem solving

Polythene plastic sheeting - advice on thickness

I am looking to get some Polythene plastic sheeting to cover all the garden, recently tilled, some areas will be herbaceous borders, some veg patch.
Some to be allium patch for planting now.
Does anyone have any experience of what the various gauges 250 500 750 1000 equate to?
A very large area to cover so cost is a factor.

• steephillsteephill Posts: 2,476
    1000 guage is 250 microns (0.25mm) thick. That guage and thicker is used as builders damp proof membrane.
  • LoxleyLoxley NottinghamPosts: 4,633
    Do you really need to cover the garden with the stuff? Is it about weed control? There are cheaper ways.
  • SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 1,508
    You want something that is UV stable as well I use silage plastic the oldest pieces I have are now 4 years old and while they have a few holes in them (cats!) they still do the job. anywhere from 150 to 200 microns will do what you want, the thicker it is the heavier it is. we buy it in rolls that are 12m wide by 50m long they weigh over 100kg and are unwieldy so think how you are going to move it around before it is delivered! Or wedged in the back of the car as we did.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,326
    I’m not clear what you intend to use the plastic for?

Is this intended as a temporary measure over winter or are you thinking of installing it as a permanent weed suppressant?
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• steephill said:
    1000 guage is 250 microns (0.25mm) thick. That guage and thicker is used as builders damp proof membrane.

It is just for over winter in the main - but alliums through to harvest.
  • SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 1,508
    You need a different type of fabric for growing in, something that will let water through, read the descriptions carefully a lot of the cheap ones are not UV stable and need to be under mulch or they will breakdown faster than your onions grow.