Forum home Plants

Fig tree

Any tips on what to do with my fig tree, haven't had any fruit 

• EustaceEustace Posts: 2,208
    I can see figs in the picture...
    Oxford. The City of Dreaming Spires.
    And then my heart with pleasure fills,
    And dances with the daffodils (roses). Taking a bit of liberty with Wordsworth :)

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,834
    Eustace said:
    I can see figs in the picture...
    So can I .... they're the ones that will grow and ripen next year ... if they don't get frosted this year. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• So do I just leave? 
    Do you know what variety it is?  Some (eg Brown Turkey) are pretty hardy and will carry small fruit through the winter in a sheltered spot. 
    Other varieties are less hardy and need to be inside through the winter, for the plant as well as the fruit. 
    The leaves don’t look like a Brown Turkey to me. 🤔 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• I've no idea, it's and old tree, that's all I know 
  • Sam 37Sam 37 Posts: 1,264
    We too had once an old fig tree, piddock75, that produced.. winter fruit.  We never had one ripe fruit, so OH got rid of it promising to replace it with some known variety.  I'm still waiting.  I do hope your tree is of a kinder disposition.
    edited October 2021
    Figs produce up to three crops of fruit a year.  Because of the climate in the UK usually only one crop per year will ripen out of doors ... this is the one that starts in the late summer and over-winters, then swells and ripens the following summer. 

"... Figs can produce several stages of crop simultaneously but usually, only one crop will ripen in the UK climate, in September or October. The tiny, pea-sized embryo fruitlets formed in the autumn are next year’s harvest – they will overwinter to produce a crop of figs the following year. The figs that were produced in spring and early summer and have not ripened by October will continue to grow but won’t ripen in the UK climate. Remove these in late autumn.

When fruits start developing, feed with a liquid tomato feed every couple of weeks.

In some areas, fig trees will need protecting over winter, especially if the tree is young. When the leaves have dropped, cover with horticultural fleece, or if your tree is fan-trained, pack straw around the branches. Move pot grown fig trees into a cool shed, or covered area such as a greenhouse.

In spring, remove the protection, give the tree a good feed and mulch with well rotted manure, or move pot-grown figs back outdoors..." 

https://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/grow-plants/how-to-grow-figs/