Forum home Problem solving

dry or poison - Crocosmia

Hi - I look after a garden bed, which actually belongs to the flats in which I live.
I like to garden organically, and without poison.

Recently the garden group did some work including putting poison in some areas.

I was assured this was not put on my Crocosmia, that they naturally dry up at this time of year - however, I don't remember it looking like this.

What do you think?

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 6,629
    Mine dry up like that, particularly where they're up close to the fence. They're the common montbretia type, not fancy varieties. I just yank them out. Sometimes the old corms come out too but there's always enough left to regrow the next year.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,179
    I agree with @JennyJ. Montbretia is quite invasive, so it'll just keep reproducing. The bits up against the wall will just be further on than the rest of the clumps as it'll be drier there   :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• One of my clumps of crocosmia did that this year and I just put it down to the long spells of dry weather & bursts of very hot weather we've had here this year, not what we've been used to. I've never needed to think of watering them before, but maybe I should have. They are very tough plants and I am confident it will be fine next year.
    Mine is at the front of a sunny border, right by the drystone wall, so very well drained. Yours is by that thirsty, heat reflecting wall so almost certainly the same cause :)
  • ok, that is reassuring.
    I have some pics of moss too which I'm wondering if it has been poisoned?
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,179
    It just looks like moss  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• LoxleyLoxley NottinghamPosts: 4,637
    There are some discoloured areas on the moss, but impossible to tell whether they have just dried out, have had herbicide dribbled onto them, or have been spilled with some other substance they don't like (detergent, hot water, coffee, salt). 

• AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 10,398
    It looks like "normal" moss to me too :) .
    When you say they used "poison", do you know what it was ?
  • ok, I thought possibly eg poison sprayed on cracks.  Happy if not.

Don't think anything else would have been spilled in that area.

I wasn't sure if t he brown bits weren't poisoned.

thanks for your time and thoughts.

no, I don't know what it was.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,382
    As has been said, it all looks perfectly normal to me. Crocosmia does that.  The moss is drying out and browning at the edges more quickly than in the middle. That’s all it is. Nothing to worry about 😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• thanks, all.
    it's good to have your views.
    It was just curious synchronicity after I know poison was sprayed around the garden, and definitely along the grass coming along from the bed.
    I so wish they wouldn't insist on this management strategy - there is so much that can be done successfully without poison.