Forum home Plants

Anyone know what this is?

CeresCeres Posts: 2,692
I have been asked to identify this plant but haven't a clue. It's in Tanzania but that is no guarantee that it is a local plant. Any ideas?

• a1154a1154 Posts: 1,107
    Is it pepper? 
  • CeresCeres Posts: 2,692
    That's what I thought to start with and that was why I was getting nowhere in my search for an answer. But, not having had any replies to my question before your post, I toiled into the wee small hours and lighted upon malabar spinach (basella alba). It seems to fit the bill.
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 23,866
    Well done, I looked earlier and hadn't a clue. Just before I typed this there were 167 views so I imagine lots of people didn't know either!
    Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • EustaceEustace Posts: 2,222
    edited October 2021
    I too thought they resembled malabar spinach, but then wasn't familiar with what grows in Tanzania; so didn't voice my opinion. I tried growing this this year, but the weather is not quite conducive to it's growth. Mine are still tiny plants after a few months and cannot see any signs of climbing. I have given up on them this year.
    Oxford. The City of Dreaming Spires.
    And then my heart with pleasure fills,
    And dances with the daffodils (roses). Taking a bit of liberty with Wordsworth :)

• CeresCeres Posts: 2,692
    I don't think the weather was conducive to growing anything this year (worst tomatoes ever). Hopefully you will have better luck with your exotic vegetable next year.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,877
    I might be wrong , but I think @Obelixx lived in Tanzania in her earlier years.
    Devon.