Forum home Fruit & veg

Grease/grease bands for apple and pears?

Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,059
Every year around now I go through the sticky process of applying grease or grease bands on my apple and pear trees.
Is there any need really?
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,894
    That depends on if you get codlin moth damage to the fruit. The bands are put on to trap the overwintering grubs as they crawl down the tree to complete their life cycle in the soil around the tree.
    If you do not get them then yes, no point putting them on.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,059
    Thanks @Palustris
    I've been going through this process for many years and I thought the purpose was as you say to prevent damage from codling moth.
    But I've recently discovered that grease offers no protection against codling moths, just 'winter moths' whatever they are, maybe I'll give it a miss this year
    Good link - thanks
    I don't think I'll bother in future either :)
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 7,879
    We did it every year,plus codling moth traps, none of these made a hapeth of difference.last year,we didn't bother,and have fantastic crops at the moment
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 5,289
    edited October 2021
    Yes winter moth and  codling moth are entirely different.  The pheromone traps work on coddling moth. Grease bands are for winter moth.  Strictly the pheromone traps are to help you time your spraying,  but I don't spray, it reduces the damage enough,  trapping the males means the eggs don't hatch.
    AB Still learning

I have 4 pear cordons and 1 pear tree.
    I was looking forward to a good harvest this year from the youngish plants.
    There were about 40 pears in all.
    Went down the garden the other day to find just 6 pears left! and not a trace of the nicked pears.
    FOXES!!! grrrrrr
    There were just a few pears left at the top of each cordon - most had claw scratches where the foxes are jumping up to snatch the fruits. They've also snapped a lot of the fruiting spurs for next year
    So i'm less bothered about moths now - what to do about foxes???!!! 😡
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 7,879
    Pete,send them to Doghouse.
    I wish I could @Nanny Beach
    Foxes here are a long-standing problem.
    My neighbour feeds them in the back garden and the front garden every day of the year.
    They get sausages, cheese and dog biscuits - every night...
    They get so much that the foxes bury the excess in my garden which my dog then digs up and eats.
    As a consequence, my dog is overweight and occasionally sick - I can see the remains of the 'fig roll' type of dog biscuits that she feeds the foxes with.
    Much as I like to see foxes I don't agree with feeding them and thereby encouraging them.
    I think I'd rather send the neighbours to the doghouse 😁
  • Bee witchedBee witched Scottish BordersPosts: 945
    Hi @Pete.8,

Such a shame about the damage to your pears ... and to the trees.

We were getting a lot of damage in the garden. I suspected badgers and set up a wildlife camera. Turned out to be both badgers and a cat.

My neighbour recommended Voss Sonic 2000 Animal Repeller which has a cat a badger setting.
    I wasn't convinced but thought it worth a try so bought a couple.

I set one to cat and one to badger and they are working well. I've since bought a third one for the soft fruit area.
    No damage now for more than 6 months, when we used to have a problem every 3 or 4 days.

They have a fox setting too ... so might be worth a try in your situation.

Bee x
    Bees must gather nectar from two million flowers to make one pound of honey