Forum home Plants

New Salvia Amistad

Morning, I have just purchased a Salvia Amistad from my local garden centre, should I plant this out now or keep it in its pot cut it back and overwinter it in my conservatory??

• Pete.8Pete.8 Posts: 11,275
    I'd cut it back but keep it somewhere cooler but frost free if possible.
    They need no light over winter so a shed or similar may be a better choice when it starts to get really cold.
    You don't really want it warm enough so it starts growing over winter and just keep the compost on the dry side of damp

Billericay - Essex

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • AstroAstro Posts: 430
    You could take some cuttings from it too.
  • I feel I should warn you that mine are almost 7 ft now. About 4 years after I bought them! Still flowering though! 
  • Thanks everyone. I have taken some cuttings in a mix of 1/3 multi purpose compost 1/3 grit and a 1/3 perlite. hopefully they take!
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Posts: 11,275
    I had 5-6 in my garden for many years in different parts of the garden.
    Don't know why, but none of them made it through last winter, but the beast from the east a few years ago caused no harm. I guess it was too wet for the roots.
    Because they lasted so well through several winters I didn't bother taking cuttings, and now I have none :(

Billericay - Essex

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • JennyJJennyJ Posts: 10,408
    I've been surprised by how well my Amistad have come through the winters since I've had them (3 or 4 years now I think) both in pots stood outside by the house and in the ground (sandy well-drained soil, which helps). They were late getting started this year because of the cold spring (same for the dahlias) but are still flowering now in mid-October and will keep going until we get frosts.
    Doncaster, South Yorkshire. Soil type: sandy, well-drained
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,716
    Depends where you live and what your climate is like. Size of the plant is also a factor.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...